How can I reassign camera numbers in NVR?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
All,

I currently have a 5 camera system. One cam was WiFi. I learned (the hard way) why the experts here say "Go Hard-Wired!"

So I disabled the WiFi and now use a wired connection to that cam.

The WiFi cam has 2 ip addresses (WiFi + wired). So the NVR thought I connected a new wired camera. The NVR sees 5 cameras, but they're numbered 1 thru 6. With a gap for camera 4 (the previous WiFi cam)

Q: How do I reassign the cameras?
From reading here, it seems the only way is to:
1) disconnect all cameras,
2) reset the NVR's camera name screen to "default", then
3) reconnect the cameras in my desired sequence.

This seems brute-force. Isn't there another way?

A more graceful method would allow me tweak my "Preview" screen. I use the 2x2 screen to view 4 cameras. The NVR limits the choices to cams 1 to 4, 5 to 8, etc. I'd like a way to change camera assignments, so I get to decide which cam is camera 5. (and therefore excluded from the 2x2 preview of cams 1 to 4)

I hope my question makes sense...

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Great idea!
There isn't a way (that I could find) to edit the camera number.
I tried your method, and edited the ip address for the cam. That switched the cam for that cam number. Then edited the test for "cam name".
Slick. I'm all set.
Now to re-jigger the cam names & assignments in gDMSS

Thanks!

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With Dahua NVR, you just delete all the cameras and re-add them in the order you wish them to be in... it wont allow you to renumber them after the fact.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
nayr, that would work. After deleting the camera, use "manual add" or "Device Search"

However, I fear you'd lose the config settings for each camera. It seems you'd be starting from scratch, so you may need to redefine IVS tripwires, re-check boxes for defining which cam snapshots to send upon an event, "Record Channel", "Alarm Out", "Tour", "Period Setting", etc.

But maybe the NVR would remember the settings for the deleted cameras that later re-appeared (using manual add or device search).

It's academic at this point (for me). Right now, I'm good.

Thanks alastairstevenson& nayr!
Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends, any settings specific to the camera are stored on camera.. IVS being one of em.

any settings specific to NVR, like recording schedules, triggering other cameras based off IVS, etc would need to be reconfigured.. it is kinda a pain, I need to redo mine but I'll wait til my upgrades are completed.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, trying to do this myself. played all last night with no success. Do I physically unplug all poe lines into nvr, then plug in one, re sign ip address etc. As of now, I have ip addresses like 10.0.0.60, 61, 62 etc. I try to change them and nothing happens.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went to extremes trying to get the cameras in the order I wanted. Starting with resetting to factory defaults. Did some of the device configuration and then started on the cameras. Plugged in the first and rebooted. Second and rebooted. Third and rebooted. At this point all was good. Plugged in the fourth which went to channel 4, and rebooted. The NVR decided that the fourth camera should go to channel 2. ^#$&*
I just had to give up after a couple of wasted days trying to get it the way I wanted.

Wayne

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
It's been almost 2 yrs since I went through the re-assigning of cams. Details are fuzzy.
a) Resetting the cam to factory default willl change its IP addr, but not the mac addr.
Maybe the NVR recognized the MAC addr.
b) my NVR doesn't have built-in poe, so it differs from yours.
c) I did a factory reset of the NVR. This meant it couldn't recognize mac addr's.
d) After cam and nvr rest, I configured each cam by connecting directly to a laptop, and configured the cam in that manner. I think I the "config tool" that came with each cam, on a small CD.
e) cam order was defined by the order in which cams were introduced to the NVR.
f) it was laborious, time consuming, and I learned by trial and error. The manuals were useless.

I feel your pain,
Fastb

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You can try turning off the nvr, arranging the lines in the order you want in the nvr and having them all plugged back in, and then rebooting. Might work. One at a time will surety have you chasing your tail. It can get very weird with the switch readdressing cameras. On the nvr monitor you could be stuck with what you have. In the phone app and pss you can arrange the order however you want.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can try turning off the nvr, arranging the lines in the order you want in the nvr and having them all plugged back in, and then rebooting. Might work.
When I tried this it was even worse. I don'yt think ANY cameras were on the same channel as the NVR ports.

Wayne