How could I send an output signal when a camera detects a noise that exceeds a certain threshold?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe years ago when Flintstone was a hell-raiser in high school and they were out at midnight hitting mailboxes with a baseball bat and he thought his buddy's suggestion to "...put pee in a can up high" was "...put in a pecan pie".

Hey, it happened to me like that once....or something similar. I was pretty wasted. :lmao:
What about designing a “noise-free” fecal crossbow arrow? Use an auto-tracking PTZ cam, mounting the ballista at bottom. The car horn will activate a shoot round of fecal balls. Loading the balls are the most difficult part. The video will gain popularity in YT (you may even monetize)18EA3351-492C-4ED8-ACA7-384354A005BE.jpeg

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
What about designing a “noise-free” fecal crossbow arrow? Use an auto-tracking PTZ cam, mounting the ballista at bottom. The car horn will activate a shoot round of fecal balls. Loading the balls are the most difficult part. The video will gain popularity in YT (you may even monetize)View attachment 164604
Just talked to one of the Sheriff Deputies about this. He said because I don't live in the city, there are no local ordinances that protect residents from noises like these. It's also not illegal on a state level either (ohio). He laughed when I said I would retaliate with a train horn, which is about all I can do. License plates aren't public records in Ohio, so I have no way of tracking these people down and giving them a taste of their own medicine. I think I will just install an outdoor 12 volt siren. I can always install a train horn on my truck and use a remote control to activate it. If you think I'm fussy another guy nearby got in a huge legal battle over horns. Made the headlines everywhere just because he wanted to have a little peace.

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
The Shelly1-UL works with Blue Iris to provide I/O:

Consider the Shelly1 UL: Switch devices over your Wi-Fi, no hub needed, no cloud or app needed although both are available. Operates on 12VDC, 24 – 60V DC or 110-240VAC, switches up to 15A with a dry contact, UL-listed model available.

Uses HTTP, MQTT and more.

PDF instructions here ==>> Simple Blue Iris I/O using Shelly1 Wi-Fi Devices

Shelly1_size.jpg
So with this IO module, could I create multiple software condtions with a script that define when the output triggers? The two conditions that must be met are the license plate and any kind of excessive noise. I also want to set the output to some kind of duration. I think two seconds of a 130 decibels should be more than enough. Then if they ever try to retaliate with more honking I could argue for disorderly conduct.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So with this IO module, could I create multiple software condtions with a script that define when the output triggers? The two conditions that must be met are the license plate and any kind of excessive noise. I also want to set the output to some kind of duration. I think two seconds of a 130 decibels should be more than enough. Then if they ever try to retaliate with more honking I could argue for disorderly conduct.
You certainly should....the Shelly1 could respond to an HTTP command sent by Blue Iris to close a set of relay contacts when BI is alerted based on conditions. BI could make the decision and command the Shelly. Shelly can time the duration the contacts are closed or BI can time it and command the Shelly to open the contacts.

Last edited:

Rjdnfnfn

n3wb
Reaction score
You certainly should....the Shelly1 could respond to an HTTP command sent by Blue Iris to close a set of relay contacts when BI is alerted based on conditions. BI could make the decision and command the Shelly. Shelly can time the duration the contacts are closed or BI can time it and command the Shelly to open the contacts.
I came up with a better idea. The shelly 1 would be the first switch in the loop, which would as the "safety lid" for the horn switch. The horn detector switch would be the digital "send it" button that would activate the audio output exactly when the noise disturbance occurred. The trick here is there would be a feedback loop with this type of signalling system because it the horn detector would be detecting the sound of my train horn. So a cutoff time defined in the Shelly 1 would be needed, followed by a delay for a few seconds each time so that the airwaves are cleared before attempting to listen again. Then the "safety lid" closes once the offending plate is out of sight and doesn't pose a random false alarm threat.

1686251251543.png1686252207657.png