How do I add and control 2nd IP camera?

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to wonderful world of IP cameras, and I could use some very basic help. I have my first camera set up the way I want it with day and night profiles (no alert jpeg's at night), and I just added a 2nd camera with overlapping coverage in the front yard. Both are on the same router, and BI cycles between them on the Cam 1 window. How do I add Cam 2 such that each camera is controlled separately and can be viewed in its own window simultaneously. Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@KMeyer Welcome to the forum. You have selected auto cycle and to only display selected camera. To fix this, in the ptz bar under the live view..deselect both of those options. Here is a screenshot...those options are marked in green - selected. You need to click on them so they are white or gray.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. I get that part (both options are gray). I added Camera 2 and have two windows, but both windows show the same camera and cycle between them. I had given the 2nd camera a new name and password via the web browser and used those when creating Camera 2 in BI, but that didn't get me where I want to go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. I get that part (both options are gray). I added Camera 2 and have two windows, but both windows show the same camera and cycle between them. I had given the 2nd camera a new name and password via the web browser and used those when creating Camera 2 in BI, but that didn't get me where I want to go.
if you are seeing the same camera that means that you entered the same ip address for both in the video config settings...each camera has a unique ip address.

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know how to change that. When checking each camera's TCP/IP in Internet Explorer, I see different MAC addresses, but both have the same static IP address. Sorry to be so ignorant about network management, but I can use some help here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how to change that. When checking each camera's TCP/IP in Internet Explorer, I see different MAC addresses, but both have the same static IP address. Sorry to be so ignorant about network management, but I can use some help here.
Two devices on the same network cannot have the same ip address...you are most likely seeing the same camera when you use that address.
Take one camera offline, then change the ip address of the online camera and make it static (you can use dhcp reservation in your router)...
Then make the change in blue iris as well.
What cameras are you using?

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Two devices on the same network cannot have the same ip address...you are most likely seeing the same camera when you use that address.
Take one camera offline, then change the ip address of the online camera and make it static (you can use dhcp reservation in your router)...
Then make the change in blue iris as well.
What cameras are you using?
Thank you!!! Now that I have two different LAN addresses, I just need to find the internet address for the second camera (173.XXX...).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!!! Now that I have two different LAN addresses, I just need to find the internet address for the second camera (173.XXX...).
What do you mean by internet address?
You should set both cameras so they have a fixed internal ipaddress that never changes..

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you mean by internet address?
You should set both cameras so they have a fixed internal ipaddress that never changes..
I guess I'm confused. My 1st camera (Dahua IPC-HFW1200) was set up by tech support where I bought the camera. He added port forwarding entries for 192.168.1.108 in my modem and had me use a different IP (173.26.xxx.xx) with RTSP port 554 when away from my home network. So far, I'm having no luck accessing my 2nd camera (Dahua IPC-HFW4300S) using its local IP (192.168.1.xxx) away from my home network. I'm thinking I need to do the same type of port forwarding for the 2nd camera's IP address, which may give me an IP that works off the home network (173.xxx...). I'll keep working on that.

Update: I just discovered the 173.xxx... address is my router's WAN IP, which is used with a forwarded port to access the camera on the internet. I access my original camera on my phone app (IP Cam Viewer) using the 173 address and RTSP port 554 forwarded by my router on the camera's IP 192.168.1.108. I set up port forwarding for the new camera's IP 192.168.1.154 (RTPS port 558) but still no joy.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused. My 1st camera (Dahua IPC-HFW1200) was set up by tech support where I bought the camera. He added port forwarding entries for 192.168.1.108 in my modem and had me use a different IP (173.26.xxx.xx) with RTSP port 554 when away from my home network. So far, I'm having no luck accessing my 2nd camera (Dahua IPC-HFW4300S) using its local IP (192.168.1.xxx) away from my home network. I'm thinking I need to do the same type of port forwarding for the 2nd camera's IP address, which may give me an IP that works off the home network (173.xxx...). I'll keep working on that.

Update: I just discovered the 173.xxx... address is my router's WAN IP, which is used with a forwarded port to access the camera on the internet. I access my original camera on my phone app (IP Cam Viewer) using the 173 address and RTSP port 554 forwarded by my router on the camera's IP 192.168.1.108. I set up port forwarding for the new camera's IP 192.168.1.154 (RTPS port 558) but still no joy.
ok, yes, if you wish to set the second camera this way, you will have to use another port...so if you set your rtsp port to 558 on the second camera you need to setup port forwarding of port 558 and specify that it go to 192.168.1.154 (which is your second camera)...
What are you using to view your camera remotely? cell phone? if so which app?
Alternatively blue iris has its own webserver, this will allow you to use the blue iris mobile app to view all your cameras connected to the BI machine. This has the added benefit of letting you view recorded video, change profiles, and other functions. You will only need to forward a single port regardless of how many cameras you have. This is the preferred method.

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
ok, yes, if you wish to set the second camera this way, you will have to use another port...so if you set your rtsp port to 558 on the second camera you need to setup port forwarding of port 558 and specify that it go to 192.168.1.154 (which is your second camera)...
What are you using to view your camera remotely? cell phone? if so which app?
Alternatively blue iris has its own webserver, this will allow you to use the blue iris mobile app to view all your cameras connected to the BI machine. This has the added benefit of letting you view recorded video, change profiles, and other functions. You will only need to forward a single port regardless of how many cameras you have. This is the preferred method.
Thank you. I am using IP Cam Viewer on my android phone and IE web browser on my Windows laptop at work. I will try your mobile app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I am using IP Cam Viewer on my android phone and IE web browser on my Windows laptop at work. I will try your mobile app.
For the record its not my mobile app..its from the blue iris developer...
You will have to setup the webserver in the webserver tab as well as port forward the webserver port which by default is 81...you need to set your pc to a static ip address (just use dhcp reservation in your router)...I would also change the webserver port to something like 8484...
Remember when entering the ip address in the blue iris app must enter the port after the ip address so for example 192.168.1.55:8484 if 8484 is your port...dont forget the colon..you need to do this for the internal and external address

KMeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
For the record its not my mobile app..its from the blue iris developer...
You will have to setup the webserver in the webserver tab as well as port forward the webserver port which by default is 81...you need to set your pc to a static ip address (just use dhcp reservation in your router)...I would also change the webserver port to something like 8484...
Remember when entering the ip address in the blue iris app must enter the port after the ip address so for example 192.168.1.55:8484 if 8484 is your port...dont forget the colon..you need to do this for the internal and external address
Yes, Blue Iris developer's app, not yours. I appreciate the setup details... I never would have figured it out myself. I'm finding this to be a very interesting and challenging learning experience, and you are an excellent teacher!