How do I enable telnet?

dprus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading through these forums trying to figure out how to get English firmware onto a DS-2CD2032-I I bought on Amazon (at the time I didn't realize this whole firmware language issue with Hikvision cameras). From what I can tell I need to flash 5.2.5 firmware onto the camera (which I've done successfully via tftp) then telnet into it and change a bunch of mtd values.

The issue I'm having is that I cannot telnet into my camera nor can I figure out how to enable telnet on it. I followed some forum post that told me to click a bunch of the pages in the Chinese menus in a specific order however the final page did not give me the telnet option (it looks like it may have been removed from 5.2.5?).

Can someone please help me get telnet enabled on this camera?
Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The 5.2.5 firmware still has the telnet and SSH options in the 'Security Service' tab of the 'Security' menus under 'Advanced Configuration'.
Are you saying the camera now has Chinese menus?
This should still work on 5.2.5, to help you move forward:

It might be worth trying this in the meantime from @Mel42:

I have been using 5.1.6 on a couple of 2332's for a while with 2~3 line detections enabled with no issues, cuts way down on the false motion detections.
For anyone concerned about playing with the firmware and there cam changing to all chinese dont despair you can easily access
english menu by using: "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")", of coarse this will not work if you brick it!

Make a short cut in IE with "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")" as the URL (I call my short cut "English") when you are at the main login screen
(or if you are already logged in) just click on your "English" short cut, all menus will be in english until you log out.

I have 2 chinese only cams that I have not bothered to upgrade because clicking the button is to easy.

dprus

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow. That actually worked!

Cool - I'll try enabling SSH next. Thanks!

afddwfadwfadwf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5.2.5 firmware still has the telnet and SSH options in the 'Security Service' tab of the 'Security' menus under 'Advanced Configuration'.
Are you saying the camera now has Chinese menus?
This should still work on 5.2.5, to help you move forward:
5.3.6 and 5.3.8 Chinese models have only "Enable Illegal Login Lock" under security service. Any other way to enable telnet/ssh?