How do I get cameras to email while connected to NVR.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, NVR seems to give me the same image three times when motion is detected, inhave connected a camera to test to my LAN and when motion is detected, it sends an email with three different images.

have contacted hikvision and said that is a known bug there are fixing. Is there anyway in which I could get the camera connected to the NVR to email? Have tested it but does not work. As its on a different network it cannot get to the internet any workarounds?

kind regards

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anyway in which I could get the camera connected to the NVR to email?
Technically this is possible, though it's more for the Linux and network savvy person, and it's only available for those versions of NVR firmware that still allow telnet access.
Though if you have the 'Virtual Host' facility it's somewhat easier.
What version of firmware is on the NVR, and on what version did Hikvision say the problem would be fixed?

The steps are summarised with no explanation as follows:
Connect the cameras to PoE ports using 'Manual' as opposed to 'Plug & Play' so that you can configure the camera networking without the NVR overriding it.
Set the camera default gateway to the IP address of the PoE interface, by default 192.168.254.1
Set the camera HTTP port to something other than 80, eg 90.
Configure the Linux kernel in the NVR to enable 'IP forwarding' between the NVR PoE interface and the LAN interface.
Configure a network route in the LAN default gateway to direct network traffic for the NVR PoE interface via the NVR LAN interface IP address.

These steps will allow the PoE-connected cameras to have full internet access, as well as be fully accessible from the LAN.

If the NVR has the 'Virtual Host' facility, it is not necessary to enable 'IP forwarding' or change the camera HTTP port away from 80, so telnet access isn't required and the change is simpler.

There is more detail in this post: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=extra+wiring
But - "*Warning* Don't experiment with this unless you're reasonably network and Linux savvy, and accept that there is some risk when delving around in the internals of an embedded Linux box."