How do I get clearer picture of movement?

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camera - DS-2CD2355FWD-I
Placement is on the soffit about 10ft high.
recorded on BI5.

First picture had the standard 2.8mm lens, been like that for a couple of years.
Upgraded the lens to a 6mm, to get a better view of who is walking up to my door.
pictures of people walking up to my door always seem blurry.

Any suggestions?

Driveway 2.8mm.jpg

driveway 6mm.jpg

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will need to adjust shutter speed higher, gain, etc. or add more light. It's an art. That's probably not the best night time camera (sensor is 1/2.9), so you will be fighting that.
<note: I don't own any HIK products, so this answer is generic>

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First off your going to get IR bouncing off your white soffit so that isnt going to help. Second off just like usaf_pride said your sensor is old and not the best for night time viewing. In that case I'm assuming your shutter speed is probably around 1/150ths which will produce a ghosting effect with movement especially with people. Ideally you want a 1/2.5 sensor or larger along with a faster shutter setting to get rid of the ghosting effect. Post your lense settings if you can

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Change your iframe interval to match the frame rate. Doing that will provide a full frame update every second. Try 1/30th for the shutter speed.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Under configuration go to image then go to image adjustment and exposure settings. Post those two

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Change your iframe interval to match the frame rate. Doing that will provide a full frame update every second. Try 1/30th for the shutter speed.
Made the changes.

Under configuration go to image then go to image adjustment and exposure settings. Post those two
Take note that I have changed my shutter speed to reflect @sebastiantombs suggestion.

IA.jpgExp.jpg

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO I feel the exposure time needs to be faster than 1/30. I'd try adjusting that during the night time and test it out.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree regarding the shutter speed, the reason I mentioned 1/30 is to get an idea about general lighting conditions. If 1/30 "looks" better than 1/60, raising it above 1/60 will be problematic with low light and compensation generating too much digital noise.

mezger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I apply generous IR, then increase shutter speeds. With my 1/1.8 Dahuas, I run with 1/250 for general applications, for my 1/2.9 hikvisions, same IR intensity gets me around 1/100 and a darker but adequate image (again, I run a lot of IR).

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
1/30 will give you a “pretty” picture but horrible motion blur at night.

if you were already at 1/60 try at least 1/120, maybe higher

Its all about light. That sensor doesn’t allow as much light in as others. Increase light, white or IR, along with exposure till you are able to “freeze” motion.

Noise reduction (DNR) will also cause blur. Make sure it is as low as you can stand it, certainly under 50%

That lens still isn’t close enough for good facial ID. Recommend moving the camera to a closer location

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need more light and you need to change how the camera is pointed so the porch light is not in view of the camera, this is hurting your night vision.
This would help.

or this

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would set smoothing to 1.

The snow is causing light to bounce and distort the faces.

Test with the porch light off.

Test do not guess, change one item then test at night, If not a good change remove it.