how do I record a fixed amount of time everyday?

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris and I've been trying to learn how to use it with the help of the members in this forum. I have a weather camera that I want to set so that it captures the sunset each night. Ideally, I would have some way of setting up a schedule that would "know" the daily changing sunset time for my location and then start recording 10 minutes before the sunset until 10 minutes after the sunset. I've tried playing around with profiles and schedules but nothing that I've tried has worked. If there isn't a way to have BI adjust for the changing sunset time, then at least I could set the camera up to record from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM each night but I haven't even been able to get that to work properly. I do not have motion recording enabled for this camera.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris and I've been trying to learn how to use it with the help of the members in this forum. I have a weather camera that I want to set so that it captures the sunset each night. Ideally, I would have some way of setting up a schedule that would "know" the daily changing sunset time for my location and then start recording 10 minutes before the sunset until 10 minutes after the sunset. I've tried playing around with profiles and schedules but nothing that I've tried has worked. If there isn't a way to have BI adjust for the changing sunset time, then at least I could set the camera up to record from 7:30 PM to 8:30 PM each night but I haven't even been able to get that to work properly. I do not have motion recording enabled for this camera.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!
Blue iris can do exactly what you need...see this thread first http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?818-confused-on-schedule-profile&highlight=sunset
Then post any questions you have.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I read through the thread and also re-read the help section that covers schedules but there are still some things that I clearly do not understand. I did get it to start recording at a set time, but what happens now is that I get two, 3 minute segments recorded around sunset time. What I want is for it to start recording 10 minutes before sunset until 10 minutes after sunset. Here is what I have set for my schedule:

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@piconut Under blue iris settings>cameras, uncheck limit manual recording time or set it to at least 30x60...
Also post a screen shot of your record tab..

Last edited by a moderator:

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
OK, I changed the "limit manual recording time" and I understand now why it was only recording for 3 minutes. Here are my recording settings for the weather cam #1:

Attachments

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have two cameras that I want to start recording at a certain time, but with one camera I only want it to record for 1 hour and the other camera I want to record for 10 minutes, each at a set time. My understanding from what I have learned here is that the only way to control the total length of a user forced recording at a particular time is to set the BI Options>Cameras>Limit Manual Recording Time To the length of the recording that I want. Since that sets the length globally, how can I make two different cameras record for two different fixed amounts of time?

I though within the camera settings>schedule>event schedule that the function "Record Start/Stop" would either start the recording if it was not already recording, or stop it if it was recording, but that is not how it works. So I'm stumped on how to achieve the two different time lengths for two different cameras.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two cameras that I want to start recording at a certain time, but with one camera I only want it to record for 1 hour and the other camera I want to record for 10 minutes, each at a set time. My understanding from what I have learned here is that the only way to control the total length of a user forced recording at a particular time is to set the BI Options>Cameras>Limit Manual Recording Time To the length of the recording that I want. Since that sets the length globally, how can I make two different cameras record for two different fixed amounts of time?

I though within the camera settings>schedule>event schedule that the function "Record Start/Stop" would either start the recording if it was not already recording, or stop it if it was recording, but that is not how it works. So I'm stumped on how to achieve the two different time lengths for two different cameras.
Can i bump this question as I too would like to know . I see where it says start/stop but nothing that indicates when it stops why?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like you need separate profiles for each camera..

@Jack it's a toggle.. you have one to toggle one way and one to toglge the other way.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I get that I need for each camera where I get stumped is it seems to only record in BI for the length allowed that you set in manual which then effects all camera record length. I am missing too many detections at night without video so I want to record say from 11:00 pm to 5 a.m so I guess based on BI rules I need to set manual to 21600 seconds to get my 6 hours. Be easier if they had a start and stop clock for my simple mind. The zombies are out in full force up here right now seems 2:30 am is the feeding time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I get that I need for each camera where I get stumped is it seems to only record in BI for the length allowed that you set in manual which then effects all camera record length. I am missing too many detections at night without video so I want to record say from 11:00 pm to 5 a.m so I guess based on BI rules I need to set manual to 21600 seconds to get my 6 hours. Be easier if they had a start and stop clock for my simple mind. The zombies are out in full force up here right now seems 2:30 am is the feeding time.
You need to set a night profile to continuously record - that is you start and stop clock only better. Its really that simple. Manually engaging the recording is not only waste of time, its leave you open to forgetting and we all know about Murphy's law.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did create a night profile and was trying to get it to turn on a preset at 11 pm start stop and end at 5:30 am start stop thought that would do it but it seems to turn on a 530 - 11pm instead. I will try night on the continuous thanks