How do I update the time overlay?

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm just getting started. I finally got my first camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW up and running. I also got Windows 10 Pro installed on the computer I purchased, have installed Blue Iris 5, and have my camera added.

That's pretty much as far as I've gotten so far.

I have a time discrepancy. As you can see from the attached image, this snapshot was taken at approximately 11:19pm. But the Blue Iris time stamp overlay shows 9:19pm. I'm pretty sure this is because, when I initially setup the computer this afternoon, the time zone defaulted to Pacific time. I noticed it later and corrected it to Central time, but Blue Iris is still two hours behind the computer/local time and I don't see where or how to update it. The other time issue is that the Hikvision software's time is about 67 seconds ahead of my computer, and I have no idea why. I hope to turn off the camera's built-in overlays if I can, so it probably isn't worth worrying about, but it seems strange that there would be that big a time difference.

If anyone can help me correct the time in Blue Iris, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just getting started. I finally got my first camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW up and running. I also got Windows 10 Pro installed on the computer I purchased, have installed Blue Iris 5, and have my camera added.

That's pretty much as far as I've gotten so far.

I have a time discrepancy. As you can see from the attached image, this snapshot was taken at approximately 11:19pm. But the Blue Iris time stamp overlay shows 9:19pm. I'm pretty sure this is because, when I initially setup the computer this afternoon, the time zone defaulted to Pacific time. I noticed it later and corrected it to Central time, but Blue Iris is still two hours behind the computer/local time and I don't see where or how to update it. The other time issue is that the Hikvision software's time is about 67 seconds ahead of my computer, and I have no idea why. I hope to turn off the camera's built-in overlays if I can, so it probably isn't worth worrying about, but it seems strange that there would be that big a time difference.

If anyone can help me correct the time in Blue Iris, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks.

You will want to completely disable the blue iris overlay and use the cameras. The blue iris overlay is not recorded when using direct to disc which is most efficient.
See threads on setting up a local time server like NetTime - Network Time Synchronization Toolon the machine

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
Also, if you can, move that cam out and away from what's reflecting the cam's IR back into the sensor. Also try to eliminate the glare from that bright reflective object far right....eliminating either and especially both will allow the sensor to open up and see the couch area much better.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will want to completely disable the blue iris overlay and use the cameras. The blue iris overlay is not recorded when using direct to disc which is most efficient.
See threads on setting up a local time server like NetTime - Network Time Synchronization Toolon the machine
Done. Someone else told me about direct-to-disc recording and I've already set that up and gotten rid of Blue Iris' overlays. I also found out where to correct/modify my camera's overlays. Thanks.

+1^^.
Also, if you can, move that cam out and away from what's reflecting the cam's IR back into the sensor. Also try to eliminate the glare from that bright reflective object far right....eliminating either and especially both will allow the sensor to open up and see the couch area much better.
Yes, I set the camera up when it was light. That image was the first shot I had of it at night. Definitely some tweaking that needs to be done. The really bright spot is a light beside the door to one of our back porches. Not really much I can do there I don't think except for to just turn it off. I'll have to pull the camera out a little more on the shelf to get rid of that IR glare though. My wife has already been complaining about, "does it have to sit so far out on the shelf? Why can't it be back here?", so you can imagine how my moving it even farther out will go over.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I have tons to learn in this new area and I really appreciate your help.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh yes, I meant to ask, by recording direct-to-disc, and skipping any encoding and compression, I know this lightens the CPU load, but I'm assuming the video is much larger as well, correct. So a trade-off between CPU load and storage space. Of course, storage space is cheap these days.

Thanks again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score