How do I view my NAS Backup

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have a NAS set as a "redundant" backup to my Hik NVR. in the event that my NVR is stolen, how would i go about viewing the data on the NAS? i have tried googling this, and can only find information on setting up the NAS. not reading it. i dont see a way to point ivms-4200 to it... i dont see a way to point my NVR to it... (other than pointing to it for recording) is it as simple as obtaining a replacement NVR and moving the drive from the NAS over to the new NVR? can someone please point me in the right direction!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Isn't there only one way of doing this??? I used a WD purple drive in a synology NAS controller, and created a shared folder. In my NVR, I went to the NetHDD section and pointed to my NAS, formatted, and set it to redundancy. I then went into each camera and allowed redundant recording. At that point I saw activity on the NAS, and the HD has since filled up. (About 1.5 weeks worth) so I assume everything is going well, but at this point I would like to go through the motions of reading the drive. Mostly to become familiar with the process, but also to confirm that it is recording as expected!

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I'll give that a try. I guess I assumed it would be in a proprietary format...

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I'll give that a try. I guess I assumed it would be in a proprietary format...
Assuming your PC is on the same network, from the Explorer window, This PC (where you see your main "C:" drive) you can right click for the context menu and map a network location, thus creating a shortcut to your NAS.

You can also open an Explorer window and look on the left side Navigation pane under Network.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so my NAS has a bunch of files that are 1GB in size. i tried playing a file, and it will only play about the fist 30 min or so, and then crashes. i tried multiple files. windows media player doest seem to want to play beyond 30 min...