How do you review recorded footage smoothly?

Reaction score
My neighbour asked me to review some footage as her car got damaged on my street sometime over the past few days.

I can bring up the footage and I can play it. But if I want to scan backwards or forwards at any speed above 1x my CPU usage goes to 100% and the computer just can't do it.

Note that when I am doing this I hit the shield button and make it red so my machine has effectively stopped recording so as to free up some computer power.

But even watching it at x1 makes my CPU go to 90% and it is starting and stopping. making it imposible to review quickly.

Anyone got any tips on how I can improve it?

I got an i5 750 @2.67ghz with 16GB of RAM runing windows 10 with Blue Iris 5. I am only running two cameras. Seems like the computer really is struggling.

Is this normal?

Thanks

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For a quick fix try exporting the clips you need and viewing with VLC player vs just viewing through BI until you find something better that works for you.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m still new to ip cams but I have an i7 6700 with 16gb ram and I can watch mine as fast as blue iris allows without a hicup and barely any cpu usage. So yours sounds very abnormal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thanks - I tried it on my daily computer that I work on which is an i7-5820 with 31.8 GB of RAM.

It lingers at 26% CPU usage when recording. When I stop recording it drops to 10%.

However I still can't fastforward clips easily. If I put it on 8x it just jumps in seconds increments and then hangs misses a couple of minutes and then jumps then hangs.

I imagined that actually it would just be a smooth speeded up fast forwarded clip like an old VCR! Isn't this how it is supposed to work?

I could export - but I need to export a days worth of footage ......

I have HIKvision 4mp cameras. Recording at 3840x2160 15 FPS.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks - I tried it on my daily computer that I work on which is an i7-5820 with 31.8 GB of RAM.

It lingers at 26% CPU usage when recording. When I stop recording it drops to 10%.

However I still can't fastforward clips easily. If I put it on 8x it just jumps in seconds increments and then hangs misses a couple of minutes and then jumps then hangs.

I imagined that actually it would just be a smooth speeded up fast forwarded clip like an old VCR! Isn't this how it is supposed to work?

I could export - but I need to export a days worth of footage ......

I have HIKvision 4mp cameras. Recording at 3840x2160 15 FPS.
your pc in the op is way under-powered and actually costs you more to run than replacing it with a 100 dollar i5-3570 system.
It does play smooth. You are doing something wrong. Post an image of the camera record settings.

Reaction score
via UI3 on Blue Iris 4 comp with I7-4770 , I can smoothly watch clips & alerts locally and via VPN, my CPU hovers around 22-25% with 9 cameras while watching LIVE or CLIPS or ALERTS. Are you mistaking hiccups/delays for camera's picking up motion too little/too late? All my cameras are programmed with the parameters of the above links to optimize Blue Iris. (15 FPS, direct to disc recording, etc). Granted, I have yet to tinker with the details of each camera (sensitivity, masking, zones, etc) as everything is still default. Either way, my system runs like buttah thanks to the optimizations.
** I stand corrected as you state your CPU actually jumps upto 90%. So is not too little/too late motion issue.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes I have previously done all the optimisation to ensure that the CPU usage is low.

I have no problem watching clips or alerts smoothly when playing at normal speed.

It is when I want to watch them 4x or 8x or 16x etc. It just jumps and skips and pauses - it is never smooth like fast forwarding.

HEre are my settings. Any hekp appreciated.

I am using my normal everyday computer now and my CPU usage is 7-9%.

upload_2019-7-6_21-44-2.png
upload_2019-7-6_21-44-38.png
upload_2019-7-6_21-45-7.png
upload_2019-7-6_21-45-34.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you actually have an Nvida card in that computer? Uncheck nvida, and see what happens.
As fenderman stated, your computer is way underpowered.

Reaction score
I have an Nvidia card installed. And I turned on GPU and I can see in the processes that it is using 25% of the GPU.

As I stated in my latest posts I have changed it to my daily work computer and the CPU usage is 7%. So I am currently not underpowered.

However I am still not getting totally smooth FFWD action when I click on 8x speed. Can people confirm to me that they are getting completely smooth 8x speed footage? OR does it just skip frames?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I get completely smooth footage at 8x speed, even remotely using UI3 at work to review my home footage.

Reaction score
I get completely smooth footage at 8x speed, even remotely using UI3 at work to review my home footage.
Super weird. I don't understand why it is not smooth for me.

I tried the UI3 and actually it is better than on my desktop at home. It is fairly smooth up to 4x. Beyond that it jumps.

Super frustrating. Anyone see anything wrong with my settings I posted above?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean by 'I have changed it to my daily work computer'. Changed what? Moved Blue Iris to your daily computer? Where is your new folder located?

Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean by 'I have changed it to my daily work computer'. Changed what? Moved Blue Iris to your daily computer? Where is your new folder located?
Yes moved the entire thing to my daily work computer. Reinstalled it and so Blue Iris is now running on a much more powerful computer.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And..? Where is your new folder? On a hard drive in that computer? External hard drive? Networked drive/nas?