How Do You Terminate Cat5 Cable?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
because thats one of the vertical wall mount patch panels, usually you route the wires out the bottom, so you start with #12 and layer all the wires ontop until you reach #1

you want to keep the pairs twisted as much as you can get away with to prevent cross talk from all those wires terminating together.. ethernet depends on the twists to get that many signals in the same jacket.

if you were leading in from the top like pictured below you would start @ #1

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last one I did I started from.the end and worked back I think for sone reason, makes sense though

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
smaller patch panels like that it wont matter a whole lot.. but when you have 48/96 cables coming out of the back of one it gets really tight and you gotta layer things very cleanly :)

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have preexisting Cat5 in my house that I need to terminate with RJ45 plugs. Do you use T568A or T568B standard for IP cameras or does it matter?

Thanks,
Derek
Disagree with the comments saying use type B.

IMO, you should see what is already installed in your house and stick with that standard, wether A or B. The last thing you want is a mix of wiring standards in your house

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Disagree with the comments saying use type B.

IMO, you should see what is already installed in your house and stick with that standard, wether A or B. The last thing you want is a mix of wiring standards in your house
If you read the OP, no preexisting standard is mentioned. B should be used.

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
I read the OP that pre existing wiring was in place.

It maybe that the wire was pre existing but not terminated in which case I agree with B. But again as long as one standard is used throughout the house it doesn't matter