How easy is it for someone to access my camera?

Lukevivian

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping for a bit of guidance and reassurance. I recently purchased a Zmodo zh-ixb1d-wac ip camera. I understand it's not the best, but felt it suited my needs.

I use the camera to monitor our new born daughter. Last night my partner told me that she wasn't sure but thought she heard a man's voice coming from the speaker.

From what I can gather one of the limitations of this camera is that it can only be accessed via meshare and not directly through a browser meaning that if someone was to be able to access the camera they would have to have my login details? I may have this wrong.

As you can imagine it's a bit of a concern so any help or advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

Stealth22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cameras are notorious for being easy to hack, and should be treated as hostile devices, from a network standpoint.

My security cameras aren't even wireless, and they are still isolated on their own VLAN, with no path to the outside world.

I presume your camera runs on wifi? I would lock down the router (maybe even authenticate wireless devices by MAC address), and also firewall the crap out of the camera to ensure it has no internet access.

It won't allow you to view the camera remotely (via a browser or moble app) without, say, a VPN connection into your home network. But it'll be far more secure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As a follow-up question, so what if someone can access my cameras? Does that give them an inroad to the rest of my network? Or, just to view my yard?
Both depending on the exploit used. In the OP's case its an indoor camera so that is a serious concern.