How important is one megapixel to you?

Would you pay $100 for an extra megapixel? (PTZ w/ 20-30x Optical Zoom 2mp vs 3mp)

• Why not? The extra detail could help identify a suspect!

• Not worth it! The extra detail is not significant enough for that price.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is more of a 2 part question. The other question being, If price were no concern and all else were equal, do you believe an extra megapixel provides a significant amount of additional detail to help with the identification of a suspect?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is more of a 2 part question. The other question being, If price were no concern and all else were equal, do you believe an extra megapixel provides a significant amount of additional detail to help with the identification of a suspect?
price and megapixel is not related...more is not always better...understand that 3mp will not give you 50 percent more pixels per foot...its a negligible increase, most will go towards the extra vertical fov

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't think price and megapixel are related if it were a 2mp difference either? As in a 2mp or 4mp assuming all else were equal i.e. Both have same IR and tech.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't think price and megapixel are related if it were a 2mp difference either? As in a 2mp or 4mp assuming all else were equal i.e. Both have same IR and tech.
I know they are not...for example there are 2mp dahua starlight cameras that cost more than 4mp 5mp cameras.....they are superior in low light and night vision.

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's why I made sure to say all else being equal. As in, when there's 2 versions of the same camera with the only difference being the additional megapixel..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I made sure to say all else being equal. As in, when there's 2 versions of the same camera with the only difference being the additional megapixel..
yes, all things being equal the 2mp starlight is much more expensive than a 4mp non starlight with the same feature set....obviously the sensor is different...you can keep chasing megapixels, its an amateur mistake...

TheWhiteKnight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No offense but still not what i'm saying nor am I chasing megapixels or else I wouldn't ask the question..i'm chasing value.

All being equal as in it were a 2mp starlight vs a 3mp starlight for example and it was literally identical then still? I've been hearing answers on both sides of the question all day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No offense but still not what i'm saying nor am I chasing megapixels or else I wouldn't ask the question..i'm chasing value.

All being equal as in it were a 2mp starlight vs a 3mp starlight for example and it was literally identical then still? I've been hearing answers on both sides of the question all day.
there is only one 3mp starlight camera model...and its more expensive because its in a different series...
there is no both sides of the questions. 3mp provides little imperceptible PPF increase over a 1080p camera..the only benefit is a larger vertical fov...anyone who tells you otherwise is ill informed.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
optics, speed, and overall quality matter a lot more than the difference between a 2 and a 4mp PTZ. Heck even a quality 720p PTZ can be pretty effective as @bababouy likes to remind us.

Ultimately for the average homeowner, fixed cameras are more useful than PTZs as very few homeowners regularly man their PTZ cameras.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The problem is "all else were equal." They are not. Most cameras as the MP rise are relegated to the 1/3 sensor (with the exception of a higher end 3MP as noted earlier). The Starlights spread the 2MP on a larger 1/2.8 sensor or a premium model on a 1/1.7 sensor. That is where your biggest difference is, as the sensor grows, you gain more. Plus, each of those sensors is not a progression of the same rectangle dimensions impacting their vertical FOV, and it also impact the size of the lens which has to be larger for the crop factor to equal the same horizontal FOV but not provide the same depth of field and other characteristics of the same lens. In other words, a 3.6mm and 2.8mm on a 1/2.8 sensor (same as used in point-n-shoot cameras) has a crop factor of x6 and to obtain the same 87degree and 110degree hfov in a full frame 35mm sensor would require a lens 22mm or 16mm respectively, but it is limited to fov only as a 3.6mm lens will not provide the other characteristics of a 22mm (technically 21mm or 24mm as 22mm is non-existent other than an approximate zoom setting). Likewise with the 2.8mm and 16mm matchup.

Now to the other part of the question, more detail on higher MP. Probably yes is sensors are same, not cramming more MP on a smaller sensor - but all cameras are compromises and have tradeoffs. My avatar is a bit misleading as I have switched from the Nikon pictured, to Sony and currently shoot with a A7rII. The sensor, referred to as full frame in the digital world is physically the same size as 35mm film so there is no crop factor) is 42MP and was the first to use the Sony Exmore backlit technology in that size sensor that the Starlights do in the 1/2.8 sensor. Needless to say, on stills I can pull and extraordinary amount of detail out of photos (Canon shooter in awe, Nikon uses Sony sensors) but deal with monster 43Mb files in RAW and 7.5Mb in jpg which also impacts storage space. It does 4k video but was designed for stills. For video, the preferred model is it's sister, the A7sII (costs about the same) with the same size full frame sensor but a "measly" 12MP. It also has the older non-Exmore non-backlit sensor which expect will be upgraded when "A7sIII" is introduced. The A7s series was designed first for video, so the stills can't provide the level of detail that the A7r series or the 24mp A7 series can, but that is not to say it is bad. Likewise, the A7s series can handle video better with more filming (SLOG3 etc) options than the A7r series which tends to emit more noise in low light. - phenomenal, but not as good as the A7s in low light due to the MP density blocking light on the same size sensor..

In short, look at what the camera was designed to do and the compromises imposed as specifications change.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
without more light (photos) reaching the sensor more pixels often just means more noise.