How many cameras everyone running?

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bet the contract that got canned was huge. We both know they didn't buy the hiks cheap off ebay LOL.
I knew the company president well - when he brought me in he explained what i was building was going to be a model that was going to replace 13 other mens prisons and 8 womens prisons in the state. The dollar amounts being thrown around, with all the service contracts, maint etc... it was ginormous. Needless to say I think, but he lost the contract. I know he got paid for the model, but wasn't asked to come back and replace everything. I will mention the company who provided the cameras was the one found guilty - Aventura was it's name. They swore they made they own cameras (lol!). It didn't end well for them.

GeoffColl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Currently 18 with two more to be added next month. Eventual total will probably be 24. Three front of house, two lower front yard, two on each side yard, three on rear of house, three internal, three on parking and outbuilding. Additional being added next month for a straight shot down the driveway and a "sky cam". Future adds for additional entryway coverage and blind spots in the back yard as needed.
Ah now, what are you using for the "sky cam"? A cctv type, or dedicated astronomy camera? I use a ZWO 178 MC on allskeye software.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. If the field of view is the sky only and the shutter speed is low enough. I can see stars on a 5442B-ZE and it's actually set for ground level motion. Just a few bright ones but they can be easily seen by a camera.

Reaction score
I knew the company president well - when he brought me in he explained what i was building was going to be a model that was going to replace 13 other mens prisons and 8 womens prisons in the state. The dollar amounts being thrown around, with all the service contracts, maint etc... it was ginormous. Needless to say I think, but he lost the contract. I know he got paid for the model, but wasn't asked to come back and replace everything. I will mention the company who provided the cameras was the one found guilty - Aventura was it's name. They swore they made they own cameras (lol!). It didn't end well for them.
Indeed it did not end well for them:

The ironic part of this story is that Just about anyone on ipcamtalk.com could have taken one glance at those cameras and known they were made in China, yet they were installed at U.S. government sites for years without anybody questioning it.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a total of 26 right now. Running Blueiris with all of them at some resolution or other.
These are spread over 3 locations linked with Ubiquity links.
2 Dahua NVR (1 local, 1 remote)
2 Dahua DVR for the old analog stuff that's slowly going away.
4 Wize cameras for backup and sharing with others
Just covered the PVC that is running fiber to another building, so will be adding more cameras there :D

jshimota01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The title of this thread should be "how many cameras do you still have unopened in brown unbranded Dahua boxes?" :rofl:
LOL! I once considered doing FB marketplace to get rid of some of my cameras - I still have 30-50 in boxes, I took one look at the rack and decided it wasn't worth it - trying to sell one off cameras to non camera people ... so my rack full just sits and gathers dust.

Reaction score
LOL! I once considered doing FB marketplace to get rid of some of my cameras - I still have 30-50 in boxes, I took one look at the rack and decided it wasn't worth it - trying to sell one off cameras to non camera people ... so my rack full just sits and gathers dust.
That's exactly the reason why I only give away old cameras. I never sell them. I don't want someone coming to me and demanding their money back because they couldn't figure out what an IP address is.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup which is why I'm giving two 4K turrets to my neighbor. His Hikvision malfunctioned. These Dahua's should suit well with his Lorex (Dahua-based) NVR

That's exactly the reason why I only give away old cameras. I never sell them. I don't want someone coming to me and demanding their money back because they couldn't figure out what an IP address is.