How many cameras everyone running?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL! I once considered doing FB marketplace to get rid of some of my cameras - I still have 30-50 in boxes, I took one look at the rack and decided it wasn't worth it - trying to sell one off cameras to non camera people ... so my rack full just sits and gathers dust.
Good time to sell if you have any 1/1.8" sensor models...

mcbain

n3wb
Reaction score
Only 6 cameras, nothing exciting, but one is located in..... the CRAWLSPACE!!! It's on a long cable so I can move it around. I have it set to record on motion, sensitivity set to max, nights only. They are monitoring some highly modified rat traps that catch mice too. The traps are hooked up to Samsung Smartthings and alert me at 9am in the morning if any of them triggered during the night. I have the traps under my hot tub and in my garage too, no cameras there yet but those traps are also on Smartthings. I've seen some amazing mouse feats, they can climb straight up brick or smoothish foundation walls. Crawling up any kind of wood is no problem. Monitoring the traps gives me instant feedback on how my mods are doing or if the bait (peanut butter) is old. BTW mice will take peanut butter 3 weeks to 2 months old, the 2 months is when it's colder. I encourage others to install one in their crawlspace, you may be surprised what you find! I've caught 172 mice, 3 chipmunks, 4 rats, 9 shrews, 1 squirrel and 1 slug! I had a video of the slug getting hit with the rat trap, it was painfully slow to watch even on 4x speed.

nosnim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
12 cams currently active at home inside and outside. Ideally I'd like to have 15 cams outside and 7-8 cams inside for full coverage.

Like others have mentioned, have quite a few more sitting around waiting for install. Wife doesn't want any more cams up though.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Only 6 cameras, nothing exciting, but one is located in..... the CRAWLSPACE!!! It's on a long cable so I can move it around. I have it set to record on motion, sensitivity set to max, nights only. They are monitoring some highly modified rat traps that catch mice too. The traps are hooked up to Samsung Smartthings and alert me at 9am in the morning if any of them triggered during the night. I have the traps under my hot tub and in my garage too, no cameras there yet but those traps are also on Smartthings. I've seen some amazing mouse feats, they can climb straight up brick or smoothish foundation walls. Crawling up any kind of wood is no problem. Monitoring the traps gives me instant feedback on how my mods are doing or if the bait (peanut butter) is old. BTW mice will take peanut butter 3 weeks to 2 months old, the 2 months is when it's colder. I encourage others to install one in their crawlspace, you may be surprised what you find! I've caught 172 mice, 3 chipmunks, 4 rats, 9 shrews, 1 squirrel and 1 slug! I had a video of the slug getting hit with the rat trap, it was painfully slow to watch even on 4x speed.
Sounds like you have fairly big hole that needs filled.

mcbain

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you have fairly big hole that needs filled.
I had many holes and cracks, mice can get in a hole slightly smaller than a dime or a 1/4" gap, see link below. The 'day rats' (squirrels and chipmunks) were caught during the day when the garage door was open. Rats chewed a golf ball sized hole through a 2x8 which was sealed with wire mesh. There was a 1/2" wide, 10' long gap under my siding that mice could crawl up the outside of the foundation wall and inside, it was sealed with a long board. There were multiple small holes in the crawlspace vents wire mesh where sloppy installers had made holes too big for wires/pipes, all these were sealed with expanding foam or wire mesh. My garage settled so I had ~1/4" gap on the outside door edges, a skill saw was used to remove the high spots. The crawl space drain pipe was not covered allowing rodents to enter. Hot tubs are nearly impossible to keep rodents out, I've done the best I can with wire mesh. All of these issues were in a 25yr old well-constructed luxury home. I've spent considerable time addressing all the gaps and holes and still about one mouse a month makes it inside.

Back to topic, security cameras are a fantastic tool to combat rodents, when mice get into your home they run around everywhere exploring so you only need one security camera placed at an accessible location so you can maintain your traps and clean spiderwebs off your camera lens. As you plug holes you will see the numbers decrease.

VIDEO
How small a hole can a mouse get through?

Update: just watched this video, spray foam is not recommended!
VIDEO
How to seal rodent holes

Last edited:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
5 and 1 doorbell on a 1200 sq ft bungalow. Mostly for overview so the Mrs. can watch our 4 yr old son play in the yard while she works from home.

K7BEN

n3wb
Reaction score
Curious as to how many everyone is running? Have 8 cameras ready to go up soon.

1 front door turret, 2 turrets covering driveway, 1 rear turret or bullet and 1 bullet on each sideyard.

overkill?
The definition of overkill is relative. I have an 2000 sq ft house and run 6 cameras. I feel that is more than adequate. I'm also the admin for the system at the church I attend, where we have about 30 cameras and I think that isn't enough. So it all depends on the situation and the level of awareness and video documentation that is needed.

jas

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently 7 cameras (all Amcrest: 2 WiFi, 5 POEs) with BI running on a really old i5-2520M laptop. Just decided yesterday to reinstall an old camera to cover a gap (will be my 8th). Am quite satisfied (for now) to be enough coverage for a relatively small townhouse condo.

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
I have these at 3 different locations with another location that's outstanding to be tied back to BlueIris once Ubiquiti gets their sh!t in order and have their ER-X routers available again (for VPN). The one labelled "backstep" is long overdue for replacement, it's an Axis 211A from 2009.
1622580820051.png