How many times can i use reg code

CYberg

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought Blue Iris and was wondering something before i register the software. I have a crappy PC now that I have 2 cameras on using another software monitor. I'm building a new PC in about 2 months. If I install software and register it on slow server now can I reuse the software reg on the new system if I stop using it on the old server or is it a one use deal?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought Blue Iris and was wondering something before i register the software. I have a crappy PC now that I have 2 cameras on using another software monitor. I'm building a new PC in about 2 months. If I install software and register it on slow server now can I reuse the software reg on the new system if I stop using it on the old server or is it a one use deal?
yes make sure to deactivate on old machine...blue iris options>about>deactivate
Dont waste money building a machine..search this forum for optiplex and elitedesk

CYberg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer but I've been building my own systems for over 20 yrs. I'll never buy a Dell. I've worked on too many of them to know what they're made of and it's not good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer but I've been building my own systems for over 20 yrs. I'll never buy a Dell. I've worked on too many of them to know what they're made of and it's not good.
Yeah yeah, I have too..a complete waste of time and money...Dells and hp business systems are built exceptionally well...
I have 20+ systems running BI plus more than 50 in service for office use..no problems...You dont know what you are talking about...
Tell me how close you can get to building an i5-6500 based system for 300 with a legal windows 10 pro license..
Heck i have a i7-6700 hp elitedesk tower i paid 400 for with a 3 year next business say warranty...

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Dell has proven to be absolute garbage to me and HP isn't a lick better. I am a Think fan and Lenovo is keeping them solid.

TS140's are affordable, reliable, great system for a small camera network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Dell has proven to be absolute garbage to me and HP isn't a lick better. I am a Think fan and Lenovo is keeping them solid.

TS140's are affordable, reliable, great system for a small camera network.
This is simply false...you simply dont know what you are talking about..the 75+ dell/hp business machines I have in operation beg to differ...many users on this site buy the optiplex and elitedesk machines and they have no problems...
Your info is outdated or based on VERY limited experience.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Building was great 15-20 years ago. It is almost pointless today for everyday use computers. The ONLY time building is worth while now is for true hardcore custom gaming rigs.

I true windows 10 Pro license alone will run you $100 unless you buy from a key factory which no matter how much they claim to be legit are still gray market keys. Then add a Hard drive and simple parts you are already well above a refurb/off lease Dell/HP. I built custom machines all though high school and college 20+ years ago and wouldn't waste my time now a days, their is zero benefit to it.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I actually bought that exact Dell from the Dell Outlet just about a month ago for $368. Dells are great. I've had great luck with them.

Not to mention the 3 year on site next day warranty, IF you ever have a problem. Both HP and Dell business class refurbs offer this service. Try that with Newegg.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is simply false...you simply dont know what you are talking about..the 75+ dell/hp business machines I have in operation beg to differ...many users on this site buy the optiplex and elitedesk machines and they have no problems...
Your info is outdated or based on VERY limited experience.
I would never ever brag of having so much experience that I "know it all" because it is simply impossible. Even though I have been working directly with computers since the early 90's.
I would also never say I am stating matter of fact information - as I mentioned in my response, "Dell and HP have proven to be absolute garbage" meaning in my 3000+ customer base, the worst computers I deal with are Dell and HP while the best are from the Lenovo line but lets face it, it comes down to hardware and most use similar hardware just built to different specs. HPs Elite line has been, in my opinion, their better line.

My information is not outdated, my information is my daily, experienced opinion, which is a lot of experience but not necessarily the cake.

I would love to know where your getting a 6th Gen i5 with with Win 10Pro, legally, but I want Brand New.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never ever brag of having so much experience that I "know it all" because it is simply impossible. Even though I have been working directly with computers since the early 90's.
I would also never say I am stating matter of fact information - as I mentioned in my response, "Dell and HP have proven to be absolute garbage" meaning in my 3000+ customer base, the worst computers I deal with are Dell and HP while the best are from the Lenovo line but lets face it, it comes down to hardware and most use similar hardware just built to different specs. HPs Elite line has been, in my opinion, their better line.

My information is not outdated, my information is my daily, experienced opinion, which is a lot of experience but not necessarily the cake.

I would love to know where your getting a 6th Gen i5 with with Win 10Pro, legally, but I want Brand New.
The systems I buy via ebay are generally 1-3 months old...that is nothing..particularity since there is a 3 year next business day warranty.
3000 customer base is meaningless, you are not overseeing these systems on a daily basis.
If you are having many hardware failures you or your customers are doing something very wrong...
Hell, even the "cheap" brands not have many failures...
Millions of corporate users running these terrible machines..but for you they are dropping like flies...please..enough with the nonsense..
You are posting misinformation..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sounds like somebody's making bad purchasing decisions, the kind that happen when you save a nickel just to spend a dollar more later.

Like a business that buys the cheapest t-12 florescent lights over and over even though they fail every 3-6 months like clockwork and the ones that cost $0.22 more last years. Then there's the labor cost of course and the fact that t-5 bulbs/fixtures would have paid for themselves in energy and labor savings in less than 2 years. This is a real example from the 90's at my Dad's employer.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody's making bad purchasing decisions, the kind that happen when you save a nickel just to spend a dollar more later.
Yes.
I blame walmart.

Let me just be clear, I am not saying don't buy Dell or HP, I am just leaking out my opinion based on my experiences and it is true that in my business, in small town northern Minnesota, most people do not have an Optiplex or an Elite model.

I am a bit biased in favor of Lenovo partially because of the incredible number of crap models of Dell and HP, and Toshiba and Acer that come through my door but mostly because Lenovo has been the best for keeping a good reputation, for me.

I am typing this on a Macbook.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Building was great 15-20 years ago. It is almost pointless today for everyday use computers. The ONLY time building is worth while now is for true hardcore custom gaming rigs.

I true windows 10 Pro license alone will run you $100 unless you buy from a key factory which no matter how much they claim to be legit are still gray market keys. Then add a Hard drive and simple parts you are already well above a refurb/off lease Dell/HP. I built custom machines all though high school and college 20+ years ago and wouldn't waste my time now a days, their is zero benefit to it.
Yeah the last PC I built was 10 years ago, and had some issues with the motherboard I could never get Asus to fix. Occasionally I do miss having a case that's built like a tank.

Today I just upgrade parts in a refurbished model if I want an SSD, real graphics card, better PSU, more ram, or better/quieter cooling generally putting less than $100-200 into a machine that was a steal to begin with.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Why do you need brand new? A refurbished one with a 3 year warranty is just as good. I dunno about your experience but Dell is the most popular brand I've worked with in companies, and I've seen MANY places full of ancient Dell towers because they just keep going. Dell laptops have always been great too, especially the business class, they are made to be easily worked on if you ever have to and easy to upgrade. Not like the cheap shit you have to completely dismantle just to swap a hard drive. Dell also has excellent service. They are the Microsoft of business computers. Lenovo is cheap Chinese shit, I mean most everything is from China but godamn, especially their e550's and stuff. Garbage that is full of spyware. I'm running bi on a refurbished Dell XPS with zero issues and my personal laptop is a Dell m4800 mobile workstation with everything maxed out. They are both beasts that I foresee running until they get too outdated to handle whatever software is out at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a question: do you need a computer and a NAS or only a computer with lot of storage?

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NAS is optional.

Storage on a computer depends on several factors but basically on how many cameras, how much activity will be recorded, and how long you want to keep the recordings. BI retains recordings according to your settings (and available space) and will delete recordings as space reaches capacity.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NAS is optional.

Storage on a computer depends on several factors but basically on how many cameras, how much activity will be recorded, and how long you want to keep the recordings. BI retains recordings according to your settings (and available space) and will delete recordings as space reaches capacity.
For 12 cameras, what is your suggestion? ty!

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For 12 cameras, what is your suggestion? ty!
A lot of recommendations throughout the forum.

Look for a business class computer with Intel i7 with Quick Sync (avoid AMD). I am partial to Thinkservers but any popular brand business class should work good.
8GB RAM is a good minimum
Use at least a 7200rpm drive for the system. I use an SSD for the main drive and Western Digital RED drives for my storage.
My choice for an Operating system is a stripped down version of Win 7
You do not need a Graphic card - I use a low end card to help with display because I have 2 monitors.

Lot of information throughout the forum. Blue Iris Hardware Recommendations