How many vehicles just don't have plates?

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How frequently do you get vehicles without a plate or a motorcycle that has it mounted sideways up on a bracket that isn't clearly visible?
Caught a ~2015 Jeep Wrangler (it could be an Unlimited model because of the wheels, or lots of bolt on Jeep parts) and an unknown motorcycle. Lots of these need to go through Google Lens to identify the vehicle in the clip accurately. LPR software hasn't gotten that advanced yet to determine the year and trim level.
North LPR-20240429-1639416933.jpgNorthbound LPR-20240505-2144023969.jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It happens. It could be a temp plate taped to the window, a dark cover over the plate, or they just drive around with no plate and never get pulled over.

But as we said in your other thread, if you want to reliably capture plates, you need to ZOOM in more.

Obviously the zoom won't help on a vehicle with no plates, but you will miss way more plates than you capture, especially at night with that much wasted space not being allocated to make the plate as large as possible.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quite a few around here don't have front plates. Back plates seem to like to have covers on them. Jeeps seem to get hidden behind the extra tire on the back.

Motorcycles, I rarely see any with plates.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
US PD letting you down. Over here, this is practically impossible (cloned plates another matter) but in the UK you wouldn't get far without getting pulled for no plate, partially because the PD are very vigillent and partially because there are hundreds of cameras covering the roads. Over here very strict rules on format for plates & fitting any kind of cover to obscure them such as viewing angle restrictors or smoke covers or simply breaching the rules would land you a fine of up to £1k for failing to comply with the regulations. Material, colour, background, font, letter size, spacing etc all controlled over here.

Here are our plate rules :oops::

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Motorcycles, I rarely see any with plates.
Speaking of motorcycles, I snapped this years ago...has to be one of the most illogical things I've seen in a while. Riding a Harley 74 is like riding a jackhammer and you're not a wimpy, weak-kneed person if you can....IMO, the rider could not have a physical handicap so debillitating that it merits such a plate.

Makes about as much sense as a screen door in a submarine.

harley_handicapped.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
In my neighborhood there are a number of cars without a front plate. Also, some people go to great lengths to try and make the plate unreadable to cameras like those at intersections. Maybe not the whole plate, but enough of it. With the latest S3 cameras I can read the vast majority of the plates. I would say in the high ninety percent range. What is interesting, is that some people go to great lengths to dirty up the rear plate but leave the front plate alone for a clean read by my cameras. Also, when they dirty up the plates I can usually make out what the number is by reading the front and rear plates. Between the two I can usually get them. By the way, I am talking about reading the plates at night. In the daytime, my other cameras can also read plates.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my neighborhood there are a number of cars without a front plate. Also, some people go to great lengths to try and make the plate unreadable to cameras like those at intersections. Maybe not the whole plate, but enough of it. With the latest S3 cameras I can read the vast majority of the plates. I would say in the high ninety percent range. What is interesting, is that people go to great lengths to dirty up the rear plate but leave the front plate alone for a clean read by my cameras. Also, when the dirty up the plates I can usually make out what the number is by reading the front and rear plates. Between the two I can usually get them. By the way, I am talking about reading the plates at night. In the daytime, my other cameras can also read plates.
I've seen a few of those dark covers on plates which I would expect to make it challenging to get a good image ..

Don't think I've yet seen enough cars without the back plate, ..

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On a border where one state doesn’t have front plates and one most trucks registered for farm use don’t have rear plates makes it difficult. Then you have the plethora of temp tags that are 2 years expired.

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But as we said in your other thread, if you want to reliably capture plates, you need to ZOOM in more.
The Northbound traffic LPR camera has way more zoom to reach across the street. But I can't zoom in more from Southbound LPR camera position, if a vehicle parks along the curb next to my driveway, it would completely obscure a camera with a deeper zoom down the roadway. So far it's working really well, my capture choke point is only 15ft from the camera as they pass by, not 135ft at the stop sign.

I would need to install a new taller post in the municipal easement section along the road. I already have 2 PoE network cables going under the sidewalk to my LPR cameras without any permission. Not sure they would allow me to install a 10ft tall post out there.Northbound LPR-20240506-1356120238.jpg

Last edited:

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my neighborhood there are a number of cars without a front plate. Also, some people go to great lengths to try and make the plate unreadable to cameras like those at intersections. Maybe not the whole plate, but enough of it. With the latest S3 cameras I can read the vast majority of the plates. I would say in the high ninety percent range. What is interesting, is that some people go to great lengths to dirty up the rear plate but leave the front plate alone for a clean read by my cameras. Also, when the dirty up the plates I can usually make out what the number is by reading the front and rear plates. Between the two I can usually get them. By the way, I am talking about reading the plates at night. In the daytime, my other cameras can also read plates.
My State stopped issuing front plates in the 1983 to increase their profits from vehicle registration. That's why I have a southbound and northbound LPR camera set-up to catch traffic in both directions. Only front plates are novelties, mostly weird messages and the occasional European plate to fake that import look.

Attachments

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Northbound traffic LPR camera has way more zoom to reach across the street. But I can't zoom in more from Southbound LPR camera position, if a vehicle parks along the curb next to my driveway, it would completely obscure a camera with a deeper zoom down the roadway. So far it's working really well, my capture choke point is only 15ft from the camera as they pass by, not 135ft at the stop sign.

I would need to install a new taller post in the municipal easement section along the road. I already have 2 PoE network cables going under the sidewalk to my LPR cameras without any permission. Not sure they would allow me to install a 10ft tall post out there.View attachment 194121
I’d just do it and ask for forgiveness later. Mounting to utility poles are a different animal;; the power company will eventually yank them.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've noticed more recently with plates mounted upside down. We're getting a lot more traffic violation cams around here and I'm wondering if people think they can beat them that way. Kind of interestingly, I looked and I don't see anything in the law re plate display that says you can't do that. Bunch of rules about how tags must be displayed, not obscuring them, etc., but says nothing about whether they must be right side up.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I've noticed more recently with plates mounted upside down. We're getting a lot more traffic violation cams around here and I'm wondering if people think they can beat them that way. Kind of interestingly, I looked and I don't see anything in the law re plate display that says you can't do that. Bunch of rules about how tags must be displayed, not obscuring them, etc., but says nothing about whether they must be right side up.
I have to admit, that I have not seen any upside-down plates. I have seen some that were about ready to fall off.

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’d just do it and ask for forgiveness later. Mounting to utility poles are a different animal;; the power company will eventually yank them.
Even if I did, it wouldn't be enough to see over delivery trucks that park out front, this is just how it has to be. But it does work very reliably, the only problems I'm having is when it flips to Day mode too early in the morning or not early enough at night.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm .. wondering how many cars have smart iot stuff and are giving off an radio signal ?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
My State stopped issuing front plates in the 1983 to increase their profits from vehicle registration. That's why I have a southbound and northbound LPR camera set-up to catch traffic in both directions. Only front plates are novelties, mostly weird messages and the occasional European plate to fake that import look.
The US needs to update how it levies Tax. 1/2 the issue seems of missing plates to be because your plates are an indicator of whether you paid road tax or not and so changed / removed constantly.

In the UK plates are for identification purposes only and never expire or are remove from the vehicle (certain exceptions like transferrring cherished numbers between vehicles or maintenance).

Instead our Car Tax used to be displayed with a paper disc in a holder on the windcreen a bit like your plate system but separate. Now it's all gone digital and we display nothing at all. Instead it's all on a database and either the Police when they run your plate or a roadside camera will retreive the details of whether you vehicles is taxed and insured in addition to the other details such as make, model and owner. In fact we have specific cameras fitted randomly on some roads that check your vehicle automatically as you drive by and alert the nearest Police contol centre if your vehicle isn't taxed or insured or if it's stolen.

Doesn't stop hardened criminals from cloning plates, but it seems to stop a lot of issues as vehicles without plates are picked up quickly. Also we introduced licesing for plate production to try to reduce the cloning of plates so plate manufacturers have to gather approved personal ID / vehicle registration evidence of ownership before they can make a repalcement plate. Sometimes the land of the unfree has it's advantages when it comes to crime supresssion.

Last edited:

RJM_50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The US needs to update how it levies Tax. 1/2 the issue seems of missing plates to be because your plates are an indicator of whether you paid road tax or not and so changed / removed constantly.

In the UK plates are for identification purposes only and never expire or are remove from the vehicle (certain exceptions like transferrring cherished numbers between vehicles or maintenance).

Instead our Car Tax used to be displayed with a paper disc in a holder on the windcreen a bit like your plate system but separate. Now it's all gone digital and we display nothing at all. Instead it's all on a database and either the Police when they run your plate or a roadside camera will retreive the details of whether you vehicles is taxed and insured in addition to the other details such as make, model and owner. In fact we have specific cameras fitted randomly on some roads that check your vehicle automatically as you drive by and alert the nearest Police contol centre if your vehicle isn't taxed or insured or if it's stolen.

Doesn't stop hardened criminals from cloning plates, but it seems to stop a lot of issues as vehicles without plates are picked up quickly. Also we introduced licesing for plate production to try to reduce the cloning of plates so plate manufacturers have to gather approved personal ID / vehicle registration evidence of ownership before they can make a repalcement plate. Sometimes the land of the unfree has it's advantages when it comes to crime supresssion.
It's up to the individual States to deal with laws and automotive registration, etc. Licence plates are different in every state. Currently only 30 States require a front license plate, while 20 States do not require it.
(Why our vehicle design looks better because that front licence plate bracket is easily removable). Front licence plates and oversized bumpers just look silly, they added them after the design engineer had already submitted the design and started building the cars. Then a new safety rule comes in and they make add-on parts to please the rules, and car enthusiasts remove the hideous extensions that were not at the vehicle introduction car show.

2 cameras is not a difficult LPR project, and arguably offers better results because traffic is crossing on different sides of the road. A single camera trying to record both directions of traffic during a busy time or if a school bus stops.

NEW GOAL: Catch a vehicle passing a school bus! Some property owners should get grants to install cameras where the worst offenders occur!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How frequently do you get vehicles without a plate or a motorcycle that has it mounted sideways up on a bracket that isn't clearly visible?
When i listen to the police scanner App while deadheading back to the terminal, occasionally I’ll hear suspect vehicle descriptions like, “ Subaru Legacy, black, no plates last seen Eastbound on…blah blah blah