How much cellular data would I be using per Min to remotely viewing the camera

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
when remote viewing hikvision DS-2CD2332-I through the www.hicloudcam.com site using IVMS-4500 app Hik-Connect on my cell phone how much cellular data would I be using per Min to remotely viewing the camera?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
how much cellular data would I be using per Min to remotely viewing the camera?
Too many unknowns to give an answer. Will you view main stream or sub-stream? What bps is the stream? What resolution is the image? And also, what is the connection to the internet (through the cell provider?).
- if P2P, that consumes data simply to maintain the connection (if you don't have a static ip). P2P has issues, most say a VPN is superior.
- The vpn provider can vary by what vpn solution you're using.
- I assume from your post that it's a single cam, not multiple cams, and not an NVR. That specificity helps.

I dabbled with a cellular connected multi-camera system. I pretended to have a static ip. Comcast doesn't change my dynamic public ip very often. I also wanted "events" to push pics and video clips, which increased MB consumption. So I don't have an identical situation to compare to. I was consuming ~2GB/mo for a 4 cam system, occasional remote viewing, and emailed pics and after a "push notification", I chose to view the video. YMMV.

Check here for more details:
4G LTE setup
Check gmaster's reply to me which is embedded in the quoted text. He said "2GB/mo for everything. Tuning this setup properly is the difference between spending an arm and a leg and knowing and accounting for every byte (not kilobyte) so that you can scale accordingly."

Also Alternative internet connection over mobile network?

hrough the www.hicloudcam.com site using IVMS-4500 app Hik-Connect on my cell phone how much cellular data would I be using per Min to remotely viewing the camera?
This differs from my setup, so take my experiences with a grain of salt....

Fastb

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
That website down grades the quality. How much I'm not sure. Is there a way I can figure out how much data is being used on my I phone and measure the data used over a 1 or 5 minute time period ?

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
The app will show the data useage. So watching 4 or 5 minutes uses almost 9 mb of data.

Attachments

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you kidding? The answer was right at your fingertips?
I wish I could have the 10 minutes back that I spent making an informative answer, and looking for semi-related threads.
And I didn't even get a "like" from my answer?
Hmmm

So many newbies, so little time. Maybe I have to dial down my helpfullness.... And focus on people who first try to find an answer, using their own time, and only THEN do they ask others for help to solve their problem.

Sorry if I sound frosted....

Happy trails....

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
I enjoy reading your response. I'd give you 4 gold stars if I could I'm a noob and didn't know much about the app and I had to dig to find that information in the app.