How much data i need in month for cam?

stefs

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to add cam to my land. And i can get 4g sim card 30gb net/month data cap.
Cam will record on sd card, and i will watch live cam from my home, lets say about 1 hour a day.
Can i somehow measure how much data i will need every month for cam?
Right now i have Reolink 410W, When i watch cam from my phone, it writes from 3000-5000 kbps, what thats mean?
Thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, so lets assume that's an average of 400KB/s
That equates to around 42GB / month.
That is indeed the number I come down too, however some "tricks" might lower this number:
  • use lower-resolution stream for off-site viewing
  • use "frame-shot" viewing (snapshot) instead of video
  • use "strong" compression communication channel with VPN

However you should verify before starting off that this 4g cellular access allows you to "phone in" through VPN service. There are lots of mobile carries who do not get a "public" WAN IP. Then you can't access that network from the WAN, except if you use tunnel systems (eg hamachi alikes).

Good luck!
CC

stefs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for warned me for 4G. Can i somehow check this before i buying package?
So, watch one hour will cost 42gb? OMG

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for warned me for 4G. Can i somehow check this before i buying package?
So, watch one hour will cost 42gb? OMG
One hour a day (30 days in one month) on that high-resolution video stream is indeed 42GB. Each day is little more than 1GB. Take half the resolution (ok-ish for iPhone for example), and it's only 0.5GB. If you do "smart" recordings (don't know about that reo), but Dahua has IVS, that sends out push notifications, and you'll only watch the clips that are "important". Recording on SD card is 24/7 rotating.

You could ask your ISP provider whether you can have inbound connectivity. It may be that for an additional $xx/month they'll hook you up with a WAN IP. It's that, or testing it out yourself and maybe asking for a refund later.

Good luck!
CC

stefs

n3wb
Reaction score
On reolink app i can chooose maximux kbps.
But my question is, if i choose even higher resolution than 1080, and lower kbps (lets say to 3000kbps max), will this drain less space?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to configure that Reolink camera quality to get it under 1Mbps. Right now you are 3 - 5 Mbps.

Limit the FPS, reduce the resolution, up the compression, reduce the quality, set the VBR, etc...

stefs

n3wb
Reaction score
Right now i am on pc, can i somehow turn on camera viewing for one hour, and is there any software who will measure how much data this camera cost in hour?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@stefs

The bit rate is what controls how much data you will use. If you use the "CBR" or "Constant Bit Rate" encoding method then the bit rate will be approximately whatever you told the camera to use for the bit rate. If you use "VBR" or "Variable Bit Rate" encoding, then the bit rate you enter into the camera will be treated as a maximum and the camera may go lower than that if it can (based on all your other encoding settings).

Using google you can calculate how much data is required very easily. Just be extremely careful to get the unit abbreviations correct.

1000 Kbps * 30 hours = 13.5 gigabytes

3000 Kbps * 30 hours = 40.5 gigabytes

5000 Kbps * 30 hours = 67.5 gigabytes

(Example of wrong units because of capital B: 1000 KBps * 30 hours = 108 gigabytes)