How realiable are Dahua IVS features?

Farmer D

n3wb
Reaction score
I've played around with the Lorex system the last few weeks. The more I researched, the more I wish it had IVS features. So, I'm thinking of returning the kit and go with Dahua NVR and cameras.

My thinking is that I'd rather catch someone as they enter my property (particularly at night) before they can steal something instead of watching it happened on a recording the next day. IVS features seem ideal for this.

My question is, how reliable are the IVS features? Do you guys get many false alarms? Would you trust it enough to turn on push notifications on your phone at night while you sleep? I don't want my phone getting notifications of events every 30 minutes while I'm trying to sleep due to false alarms (like I'm having now with Lorex motion detection).

Just looking for some real life feedback on IVS reliability.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've played around with the Lorex system the last few weeks. The more I researched, the more I wish it had IVS features. So, I'm thinking of returning the kit and go with Dahua NVR and cameras.

My thinking is that I'd rather catch someone as they enter my property (particularly at night) before they can steal something instead of watching it happened on a recording the next day. IVS features seem ideal for this.

My question is, how reliable are the IVS features? Do you guys get many false alarms? Would you trust it enough to turn on push notifications on your phone at night while you sleep? I don't want my phone getting notifications of events every 30 minutes while I'm trying to sleep due to false alarms (like I'm having now with Lorex motion detection).

Just looking for some real life feedback on IVS reliability.

Thanks
It is not reliable enough for that...use a good quality pir sensor...

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience is that IVS is night-and-day better than motion detection in terms of false alarms. In absolute terms it's pretty darn good, but falls short of perfect. I think where it's installed and what it's looking at has a lot to do with it. My cameras are outdoor. Depending on the camera's view it's possible to get a false positive from shadows of moving clouds or waving tree branches. There's an occasional false trigger caused by the day-night or night-day mode switch. Very occasionally a trigger is missed. It has a lot to do with the size, speed, and direction of what you're tracking. I have one camera looking at a driveway that also has a magnetic sensor. The magnetic sensor misses a lot more triggers than the camera, but in the rare instance of the camera missing a trigger, the magnetic sensor will probably get it. I have found PIR sensors to be very unreliable for detecting vehicles. For people, they're a lot better, except on a very hot day outdoors when somebody can walk past the sensor without triggering it. There are also light beams and microwave sensors. It just all depends on the location and the surroundings. If you don't want to miss any triggers, I'd say go with both IVS and some kind of external detection. If you want to minimize false alarms, you have to figure out which of the possibilities works the best for the application. If the camera and/or sensor is outdoor, you'll get triggers from animals. I get a bunch of those every night. Just passing along my limited experience.