How to achieve Circular or Loop recording with HikVision IP cameras

Reaction score
Good Day,

Can you provide a recommendation on how I can achieve unlimited circular or loop recording with some Hikvision IP cameras I have. I'd like to be able to store about 2 years worth of video - once the media is full the system should then begin overwriting the oldest video. So set it and forget it.

It doesn't look like the Hikvision camera can natively do this. Is the solution then to pair it with a more sophisticated NVR. Can you provide a recommendation? I've investigated online a Hikvision brand NVR - I even read the manual but it is unclear if it supports circular overwrites (outside of using eSATA)

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you provide a recommendation on how I can achieve unlimited circular or loop recording with some Hikvision IP cameras I have.
Enable 'Overwriting' in the storage settings.
Which is usually enabled by default.

I'd like to be able to store about 2 years worth of video
That would be a large amount of storage - even on event detection only.
What size have you worked out is needed?

Reaction score
Enable 'Overwriting' in the storage settings.
Which is usually enabled by default.

That would be a large amount of storage - even on event detection only.
What size have you worked out is needed?
Thanks! Unfortunately I have no such option to enable Overwrite. Check out this screenshot. I'm currently using NAS by QNAP but when the drive became full I've lost access to all my video. Hence the reason I'd like to go circular. Would simplify things quite a bit.

I'm only capturing motion events. 3TB per camera should be plenty.
SharedScreenshot1.jpg

Reaction score
It's under the Schedule settings, Advanced button.
OK thanks. Indeed mine was turned on by default. So it seems I'm trying to solve a different problem then. Why did recording quit when the drive became full? And now the recordings have become inaccessible from the camera interface. Should I continue with this method or move to an NVR option that is more reliable

Thanks again