How to add a siren to Blue Iris

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great post, man! I've been looking for an easy way to turn on a light when motion is detected. I've never explored that part of BI either, this will give me the excuse. I'll be sure to use a 'dry' relay contact and a low wattage lamp. I have some 12VDC, 27 watt automotive LED floods that are super bright that would be perfect. No use introducing 120VAC anywhere unnecessarily and run the risk of issues.

The intent of the light would be to either help me enter into the zone in the darkness without tripping over stuff --OR-- let someone think that their entry into the zone was being observed. Thanks again!

Reaction score
I’m glad I could help. There are many applications for this project. My next project will be with a wireless relay but it will be a while before I can start testing. Let me know how it goes.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice post @greek_yogurt, thanks for sharing. Do you have any experience with Z-Wave devices?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I don't have Z-Wave, I actually just Googled it when I saw your reply to see.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did the control program come with it? If so, do you know what it is (C++, Java, VBasic)? I like the 12 VDC jack. I can find that board on eBay but not on amazon. Do you have a link to it you could share?

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To open up this old topic... I have the hardware... I have no idea how to do the software side of it. I have been searching for software with little luck since I really don't know what I am doing! :) Any help?

Reaction score
There are two links in the YouTube video that will let you download the program that I made to control the relay. I think you actually have to go to the YouTube website to see the links. Download it and run it after you wire the relay as shown in the video. Let me know if you need help.

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did not see the drop down. Downloaded and had it working in a few minutes. Thank you sir for your help and the instructions! Have a wonderful night!!!

Pegaus

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a module to allow Input alarms , IE from PIR sensors? For iris?
jay

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a module to allow Input alarms , IE from PIR sensors? For iris?
jay
im in the process of doing of rigging door sensors to trigger BI with a raspberry pi. seems fairly straight forward (provided your ok with python and linux), but still waiting on a few resistors to show up in the mail before i can finish the project. BI allows for IO from an arduino connected via serial/usb as well, i have never tried it, but its an option.

adamrx7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I am able to get the relay to work through it's own app (very cool), and also get it the run a "test" and I hear the relay click (r1 on 4). But I can not figure out how to run it on a camera to make it go off. I have to be missing something small here.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am able to get the relay to work through it's own app (very cool), and also get it the run a "test" and I hear the relay click (r1 on 4). But I can not figure out how to run it on a camera to make it go off. I have to be missing something small here.
Did you follow the YouTube video instructions regarding configuring Blue Iris 'cam properties', 'alerts', 'run a program or execute a script', 'configure', 'file', etc., etc.?
Or are you NOT using BI and want to control the relay from a standalone camera?

adamrx7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I have have BI for over six months and know it quite well. I can "test" it in alert properties and it works but in live mode i have not seen it do anything. I understand it's hard to diagnose a issue from a message, thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I have have BI for over six months and know it quite well. I can "test" it in alert properties and it works but in live mode i have not seen it do anything. I understand it's hard to diagnose a issue from a message, thanks
Yes, it can be difficult so please don't take offense if I take little for granted. That being said, I assume you have set up 'trigger', 'motion detection', etc. Under alerts I would select, in addition to 'run a program or execute a script', the option 'sound an alarm using PC or camera speaker'. That way you'd know when an alert would be 'true' and you could focus your diagnosis on the execution of the script to activate the relay (perhaps a missing or improper command line argument?).

Last edited:

adamrx7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was closing the app and it has to be open to run what BI alerts it.
Now with that being said.
The 4-channel relay works instantly on BI but the 8 channel relay have a delay of about 10 seconds. Any clue?