How to backup IPC and NVR settings?

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello again.

I bought a 16GB Flash drive solely for 'config backups'. What is the best reliable way? NVR directly, Web GUI or iVMS4200?

And if i use web GUI it asks for a file format and i never know what to put for it.

Im fairly tech savvy but this hikvision isn't really that obvious lol

My goal is if power ever gets tripped i can just import config and be done with it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What model of NVR?
And if i use web GUI it asks for a file format and i never know what to put for it.
For the 76xxNI series, via the web GUI, you don't need to put anything special - it's your choice of filename, and there are no choices for file format, it's fixed.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes 7608NIK2/P

Hmmm so should i log into each cam and export or do it from nvr web gui. I want ALL settings backed up. Every single setting.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm so should i log into each cam and export or do it from nvr web gui. I want ALL settings backed up. Every single setting.
The NVR Device Configuration backup handles the full NVR configuration.
The IPC configuration backup in the NVR web GUI only backs up the camera network config and passwords - ie the connection settings as required by the NVR.
To do the cameras full configs, you need to use the camera web GUI.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That makes sense BUT why does it have like 10 formats. Which do i use? I have done the nvr part and its default is .bin and for ipcam export inside nvr is .xlms

Why is there no document on this?

And does this backup including motion detection grid square placements and video audio settings?.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes sense BUT why does it have like 10 formats.
It doesn't have more than 10 formats. It simply outputs a file with whatever filename and file extension you have chosen.
What you're likely seeing in the dropdown list are the various file extensions associated with whatever apps you have installed on your Windows PC.
Why is there no document on this?
It's covered in the camera and NVR User manuals, also summarised in the on-board help text.
eg
User Manual of Network Video Recorder
14.3 Importing/Exporting IP Camera Info
Purpose:
The information of added IP camera can be generated into an excel file and exported to the local device for backup,
including the IP address, manage port, password of admin, etc.. And the exported file can be edited on your PC,
like adding or deleting the content, and copy the setting to other devices by importing the excel file to it.
Steps:
1. Enter the camera management interface.
Menu > Camera > IP Camera Import/Export
2. Click the IP Camera Import/Export tab, the content of detected plugged external device appears.
3. Click the Export button to export configuration files to the selected local backup device.
4. To import a configuration file, select the file from the selected backup device and click the Import button.
After the importing process is completed, you must reboot the NVR.
And does this backup including motion detection grid square placements and video audio settings?.
Yes.

As with any backup scheme - it's important to confirm that recovery is possible.
So you can and should check this out for yourself.

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok well did i do this correctly.

NVR side: exported the .bin file from the system management tab and then went to the camera ip export and exported a .xls file and after that i logged into each camera through web gui and got the device parameter file which let me choose a format so i chose .txt and it dropped it to my pc so then i did that for rest of the cams. was .txt the right format for backing up from the cams in the web gui or should i have chosen something else?

NVR: .bin and .xls
Web GUI IPC: .txt

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
was .txt the right format for backing up from the cams in the web gui or should i have chosen something else?
You will find that all you have done is to choose a file extension, not select a format to export, there is not a choice of formats.
To demonstrate that, try loading the .txt file into Notepad or Word and you will see that it is not actually a text file, it's an encrypted binary file.
All you've done there is to decide your own choice of filename and extension.

ok well did i do this correctly.
It seems so.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a little story of what had happened to me in the past. I downloaded my nvr settings hoping to import them into another IDENTICAL unit I had. The other unit wouldnt import them! I suspect the backup is married to the nvr it came from

David87965

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will find that all you have done is to choose a file extension, not select a format to export, there is not a choice of formats.
To demonstrate that, try loading the .txt file into Notepad or Word and you will see that it is not actually a text file, it's an encrypted binary file.
All you've done there is to decide your own choice of filename and extension.

It seems so.
so the NVR or IPC import will read the file as a binary regardless of the extention then.

Just a little story of what had happened to me in the past. I downloaded my nvr settings hoping to import them into another IDENTICAL unit I had. The other unit wouldnt import them! I suspect the backup is married to the nvr it came from
i wont have that problem as im keeping this unit and cameras for a very long time. good to know though.

thanks for helping guys!