How to best set IP camera encoding parameters to be compatible with NVR recording parameters?

Reaction score
The subject question is intended to be a general question not specific to a NVR/IP Camera combination. The parameters of interest are FPS, Bit Rate, Video Quality, Resolution, Bit Rate Type, and Type of encoding. The users manual of my NVR and Camera do not discuss best practices for these settings. Any help would be appreciated!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Set all of them on the camera not the NVR.

The thing that will get you seeing double is when you sporadically set them or change them from one to the other. The items you listed are all direct functions of the camera, make those settings and changes on the camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On Dahua NVRs/cameras Yes. I can only assume HiK will work similar.

I cant tell you if every manufacturer does it the same way, they all have their own proprietary quirks

Reaction score
I have a Hikvision POE NVR and Sunba PTZ cameras. The cameras have the mentioned "encoding parameters" and the NVR Recording options have the same parameters, but they are listed as "recording parameters"

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... when you mix brands of NVR and cameras, its anyone's guess. Maybe another member has encountered that combination and can weigh in. I've had mixed results using Dahua NVR and Axis cameras for example. Some settings were pushed many others not.

Reaction score
The cameras interface the NVR via the ONVIF protocol. I have had pretty good luck so far, but they do have a few "hickups". The names that I have assigned to specific cameras will sometime go blank. The PTZ commands to the cameras are erratic. I would like to setup the cameras such that they output there inherent maximum resolution, 30 FPS, VBR, 8092 Kbps bit rate, and Highest Quality, but don't know how I should setup NVR to record the highest performance I can get out of the cameras?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR should take the stream you designate on the camera, assuming its capable.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My issue with the setup is that it’s easy to see those parameters on the NVR interface, but when I try to set things directly on the cameras, most often the internet explorer requires a plugin that doesn’t load, so I cannot see the image on that webpage. Kind of makes it hard to set up motion detection, and tripwires when you cant see what the cams see.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Try a different browser. Pale Moon 32 bit for example.

Or, If you can access the camera GUI just not the image, use another device to view if you need to. I use SmartPSS to view on the same laptop I use to make settings. No problem seeing the changes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also use Chrome with the IE plug in. The plug in for the camera will also, probably, need to be installed in both Pale Moon 32 bit or Chrome with IE extensions.