How to bring all the wires down to the NVR?

ah6tyfour

n3wb
Reaction score
Any electrical cable is pushed through a hole between wall studs or through the top/bottom plates. It’s not wierd at all....

Redundancy is great for multiple wire pulls. If this was your place and you were going to be constantly tinkering and adding cameras or ir illuminators, it makes total sense. For what you are doing for your parents though, unless you know you are going to add in the future, it is overkill. There is no moving parts or wear on the wire. As long as it is terminated properly and weather protected -unless their house is routinely struck by lightening, one pull to each location will likely cover what they need.

Everyone’s situation is different. A pc with BI works for some, probably better for others. Same for an NVR... If your parents are tech savvy, know their way around a computer and have space for it, go pc/BI. If they struggle to turn on their television and DVD player, consider an NVR connected directly to their tv. It will be the most comfortable for them. If you overload them with technology, they will not use it at all and the effort will be for nothing... BOTH options are going to require work beyond plug and play. There are camera settings that do need to be tweaked at the device it’s self.

The wiki and cliff notes cover what you are trying to figure out. Sounds like the most efficient option is one run per camera and to a switch somewhere. Then from the switch to either a pc or NVR. If you want internet access to remote in or so they can check via phone, there is going to be even more work. Search IPCT for “VPN for noobs”.
Thanks for being so helpful! I had figured two wires per camera since that's what the wiki recommended and it does seem like a good idea in case something happens to one cable. But I guess one cable is easier, the hole is smaller, and it should be good for at least a few years.

The NVR connected to the TV is a good idea. They're not very tech savvy. The PC instead of NVR is attractive because it seems like, if I use Blue Iris, they can just use the Blue Iris app to access the cameras remotely without needing to set up a VPN. Does that sound right?

Somehow, this whole thing seems pretty daunting. I guess it's because it's not a field I'm used to and it requires many components coming together including actual labor in mounting cameras and running wires. It wouldn't be so bad if I had more time, but I'm only home for a week and the plan is to have everything ready and have it all running before I leave. Part of me wants to just install a Ring Floodlight and Ring doorbell and call it a day, but after reading these forums, it just seems like a subpar option.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The cameras are mini computers. PC/BI or NVR, either will require VPN access for internet connectivity. That is one more step or process, if you want to add it. It is not so much that someone would want to access their feeds to see the front porch, but rather, to access the "computer" on the camera to use an a bot on a net, for what every they are trying to do.

Two wire pulls are great, and there is a purpose. But advice does not always mean justifiable. Part of the overload in this process is everyone has their best opinion for what you should do. Ring/Nest/Amazon/Arlo are not the greatest, but by far better than nothing. Some will say they are crap and to stay away all together. Generally they only work off of sensing motion, you will not get to see the pre-recording or post recording after the incident. There may be on-going costs besides the initial outlay too.

Go to a truck forum and ask what truck you should get to pull a 25ft trailer. Doubt you will not find someone who says the only truck you should get should have the ability to pull a 50ft trailer through 4ft of snow, running on diesel with an industrial grade transmission, while carrying 3000lbs of alpaca food to use as a potential barter down the road, during the apocalypse. Yup, sure would work for someone. Also, perhaps a 3/4 ton truck running on 89 octane gasoline with roll-down windows and manual door locks would also work...

You do not HAVE to do anything recommended. There are great options listed here. Perhaps running all of the wires to a POE NVR at their TV would work just fine and it would not need internet access. Perhaps running everything to a POE switch then to a computer with BI would work too. Or, cams to a POE switch then to an NVR connected directly to the TV. Or, aghast, the subpar option which they may be able to understand and use with minimal confusion. Figure out what THEY can comprehend and not what sounds great based on suggestions here.

I'd venture to say that most everyone who started here felt overwhelmed. I'm gonna say you will be challenged to complete it all in a week, on a first install... Not impossible but not probable.

Figure out what truck you can afford to buy and how long you want to pay for it and if you can understand how to make it work, rather than letting the salesperson up-sell you to every possible bell/whistle and extended warranty available. Would it be nice? Absolutely! Is it necessary though and can your parents even get into it?