How to choose and arrange camera views?

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 14 cameras (soon will be 18), but there are 4 that I primarily want to have up on the screen 95% of the time. Is there a way to choose which ones are displayed in UI3 and the Blue Iris application? I mainly care about UI3 because my BI server will become headless soon. I'm also curious if there is a way to re-arrange the display of the cameras in UI3, BI, and the BI Android App. I'm sorry this is such a seemingly simple question, but I just can't find a a way to change the views, nor do I find any information in the forum. Thanks!

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 10 cameras, in Blue Iris interface, right click - Layout - check "1:6" or "1:9" and "4-up". This way I have 4 cameras primary and the rest are in a column in the right side.
To order your cameras, in Blue Iris interface, right click - disable "Prioritize selected camera" then drag and drop them as you wish.

You cannot control camera's order or layout position from UI3.
To do this in Blue Iris interface, Group settings panel(bottom left) - for "All cameras" group there is an option "Specify frame size".
Play with those resolutions and see what you can get.
In my case it doesn't change too much from the default view in UI3 so I find it useless.

@bp2008, the author of UI3 explained it here with a picture: Blue Iris UI3.

Last edited:

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Given your instructions I was able to get the exact layout I'd like in BI, with my 4 most-used cams having the largest images and the rest of them surrounding. It's perfect. Thanks!

I've played with the frame size, and I've found that anything less than 1600 x 900 doesn't provide enough resolution to really see the thumbnails very well in UI3. I really wish UI3 would just replicate the layout in BI, so you set it the way you want it there, and that's what you get in UI3. Or some way to just put the cameras in a rational order anyways. I'm soon moving BI to a dedicated headless machine so at my desk I was planning to use UI3, but maybe I'll plan to just always have a VNC into the other machine because I think I'll miss the BI UI too much. That said, UI3 is so nice and clean I didn't mind moving to it, fingers crossed that the next rev will have configurable layouts.

Any word on if it's possible to re-order the cameras in the BI Android app?

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've solved this shortcoming with UI3 layout by creating another group of 4 cameras in BI interface, then assign this group to another user limited to this group only.
I mainly use this user just to watch these 4 most-used cameras in UI3 and also in BI Android app. When I just want to check some other cameras I login with an admin user.

For your particular setup you can create two(or even more) groups of 4 cameras if you wish, grouped by whatever criteria you want: importance/house zones/camera types...
You can name the groups something like exterior/interior/overview/domes/bullets...

BI Android App, like UI3 will inherit the cameras' order from BI interface and it will display first, from top to bottom the cameras' groups then the individual cameras.

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, that workaround makes sense, I'll give it a try. It's a bummer to have to log out and back in to glance at other cameras, but hopefully that'll be fixed in the future.

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can simply login with an admin user every time, you'll still see the camera groups at first position in BI app and can easily change groups in UI3...
But I use this limited user, watching only 4 cameras most of the time, it is sufficient for me when I'm not at home and also loading just 4 cameras instead of 10 makes the app load faster using less bandwidth...

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I seriously never noticed that dropdown in the app or UI3, ok yeah that makes sense - I'll make some groups and that'll help for sure.