how to configure specific cameras to specific drives?

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

In the article Choosing hardware for BI (Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris), in the hard drive section, it says "and configuring specific cameras in Blue Iris to record to specific drives ". I find this idea quite clever since, as they say, if a drive goes bad, you loose only one camera and not all of it.

My question is: How do you do that, with a system with 35 cameras?

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) In blue iris configure your drives and folders in the Blue Iris setting clips and archiving tab. Use the AUX 1 to AUX7 selects to define up to 7 different drives.
2) ON each camera in Blue Iris record tab, specify the folder (AUX 1 to AUX 7) for that camera

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you SouthernYankee. If I understand correctly, there is a maximum of 7 drives I can assign.
And this would mean that I would have 5 cameras on each of the 7 AUX folders for my total of 35 cameras.
Am I assuming this correctly?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you SouthernYankee. If I understand correctly, there is a maximum of 7 drives I can assign.
And this would mean that I would have 5 cameras on each of the 7 AUX folders for my total of 35 cameras.
Am I assuming this correctly?
Understand, there is no point in doing this, unless you are pointing to a different physical drive for each of the 7.

keydev

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. That is what I understood. the 7 aux point to 7 different physical drives.
Thank you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are technically more folders than those 7.

You can direct cameras to record to "New" and "Stored" as well, bringing up your total to 9. "Alerts" has special meaning and can't be selected as a recording destination.

Another little detail, if you export any clips via the web interface (new ability as of Blue Iris 5.1 released two days ago), the exports will be written to the "New" folder and take up some of its allocation.