How to connect an ip cam to alarm system

tazbad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Here is my problem:
My IP cam detects movement for a period of the day. It starts recording and sends me an email. The problem is that when I am at home during this period, my mobile vibrates continuously, i receive 50 mails . So I'd like to connect the camera to my alarm system so that it turns on when I leave my house.

The ports on the camera: I, GND, O
The ports on the alarm: DC IN +, IN- DC, AREA 29 AREA 30, GND, V +, GND, + 12V, PGM, SRN INT, + 12V, SRN EXT

Is it possible?

Thanks !

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How about if your camera does not have in alarm input ?
Can this setting be set remotely using e.g. JSON ?

3dogpottery

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera alarm connector looks like it provides a common, an alarm in and an alarm out. So, your camera documentation should show you which is the common and the alarm out. As for the Visonic, I would guess that you would connect to ZONE 29 and GND, or ZONE 30 and GND. But, you better check with your Vistronic documentation or you might let out the magic smoke.

tazbad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I make some tests yesterday :
I plug "zone29" from the alarm to the "in" of the camera AND the "GND" to the "GND" : it dosen't work
I plug "zone30" from the alarm to the "in" of the camera AND the "GND" to the "GND" : it dosen't work

Last test : I plug the "GND" and "IN" of the camera and I connect the 2 cables and I receive the email

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are 'zone29' and 'zone30' intended for connections to external sensors, ie an 'alarm in' function and if so would it not be the camera 'OUT' that should connect to them?
I think your controller needs a 'Arming status' signal to allow something external to know when you have activated the panel on exit from the house.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have come up against a few of the visonic powermax panels on my travels, horrible little things, might be worth seeing if you can get a hold of the engineer manual, also if it was installed by a company then they will more than likely have put an engineer code into the system, you will need this code to make any changes to the engineering programming.

That at may be why the inputs on the panel don't appear to be working, they may require to be programmed on and programmed.

I think that the pgm terminal will play a part, I believe that this will be able to be programmed to switch a negative or a positive when the system is set, this would be connected to A 12v relay. My head is quite cloudy at the moment as I have the terrible man flu disease, but thinking about it the only way I can see it working is if the relay was to cut the 0v going to the camera when disarmed, and when it's armed the camera would become powered, the only downside is that the IP camera would not be powered on when the alarm is unset. Will have another think when I have recovered :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Man flu in the Summer? Another thing to blame our long run of bad weather for.

The essence of the idea that was tried in the linked thread was to "Set recording type "Motion & Alarm" (Motion AND Alarm) for all the cameras."
So if the 'Alarm input' of the camera was not active (ie system controller status was 'not armed') no recording would take place. When the system was set to an 'Armed' state, the alarm input of the camera was set as active and recording occurred on any detected motion. Hence the idea that you need an 'Arming status' signal from the system controller.

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh I know, tell me about it, crawling about horrible dusty farm house lofts won't have helped me either.

if its motion and alarm, then a 12v relay connected to the panel, possibly through the pgm terminal and either 0v or 12v and a pair of wires going from c , nc on the relay to the alarm inputs on the camera, when the alarms unset the relay isn't energised, when the alarms set, the relay is energised and the relay switches to open the circuit, the camera has received its alarm activation, it is just awaiting motion detection.

tazbad

n3wb
Reaction score
So do i need a relay? I saw the PGM mode of the alarm can be configured to be "ON", "OFF" or "Pulse"

jordanb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not 100%, i haven't really worked with this panel apart from adding/deleting devices. it might be worth giving pyronix technical guys a phone, just say to them if they ask is that your an installer, but you haven't worked with this type of panel before, or even send them an email to see the best way of achieving this.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As I don't have hikvision cams with alarm input, I went with the HomeSeer BlueIris plugin and an Arduino to read the status of my alarm panel.
If the relay changes, my profile in BlueIris is automatically updated.

tazbad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks everybody

I did it! I pluged the camera on the "PGM" of the alarm then I programed the alarm to send impulsions when the siren or detectors are active.
Last question : do i need to plug the "GND" port?