How to estimate fixed focal from a vari-focal ?

CAL7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an IPC-T3241T-ZAS (from Andy). Following the advice I've seen from several on this forum, I went with a vari-focal that I can use to tune my needed focal length and then use that as a basis for purchasing fixed focal length cameras. I am guessing at how to do that and would like confirmation and suggestions on how to do this.

For instance, this camera has a range of 2.7mm to 13.5mm. When I set it to the correct zoom level, I don't see any way, either in Blue Iris or the camera settings, to derive the focal length. So, assuming it's linear (which may or may not be correct) I do the following calculation: the setting in the Dahua camera zoom slider shows a range of 0 to 2343 and my desired zoom is 540. 540 is 23% of the zoom range. Applying this to the spec'd camera focal range of 13.5mm minus 2.7mm = 10.8mm, 23% of 10.8 is 2.5 which added to 2.7 is an estimated focal length of 5.2mm. So, I would probably buy a 6mm if I was willing to go a little tighter.

Does that analysis hold water? Maybe I'm over-thinking it?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I set my focal lengths based on the specified horizontal angle of view. At a given distance from the camera this translates, with the help of trigonometry, to a field of view in feet. The varifocal allows you to see if the view is enough for you to identify what you want to under your specific circumstances. Specified lens focal length can provide different actual FoVs based on a number of items, including manufacturer preferences.