How to "factory reset" a Dahua camera that's not bringing up an ethernet interface?

Reaction score
Hi all - I have a Dahua IPC-HDW2431R-ZS-B (IP67 4MP IR mini-dome) installed on an outside wall. After running happily for over a year it went offline a few days ago. The PoE hub showed it consuming power, and another camera showed it's IR leds were on, but it doesn't respond to pings and SmartPSS can't "discover" it.

When I power cycle via the hub the leds turn off (unsurprisingly!) then come on again several seconds after power-up. This suggests to me that at least some software is running.

I've opened the camera up hoping to find a "factory reset" button or some other way of recovering the device. Nothing obvious, at least to me.

So... any suggestions? Is there some mystical (!!?) reset sequence? I suppose a UART and a serial-mode console is too much to hope for?

Thanks in advance
Sean

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
When I power cycle via the hub the leds turn off (unsurprisingly!) then come on again several seconds after power-up. This suggests to me that at least some software is running.
If all that's happened is that the IP address has changed, for unknown reasons -
Try pinging the default address of 192.168.1.108
Use wireshark to look for broadcasts from the camera at power-on. These may expose a changed IP address.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I suggest trying the dahua config tool. It finds cameras even if they're not in your subnet's IP range.

Reaction score
Thanks Alastair and Tigerwillow. I should have mentioned that I did try 192.168.1.108 (no response) and portscanned across that and other Class Cs. But I did not try tcpdump/Wireshark/etc. so I'll look at that next.
Cheers
Sean