How to flash HikVision firmware onto Trendnet TV-IP310PI Camera?

matrix311

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question regarding flashing HikVision firmware onto Trendnet Cameras. I currently have a QNAP NAS with Surveillance Station controlling 4 cameras. Two of my cameras are the Trendnet TV-IP310PI cameras with firmware V5.1.8 build 150311 and the other two are HikVision DS-2CD2032-I cameras in English with firmware V5.2.0 build 140721.

As you know these two cameras are completely Identical except for the firmware on them. They both have excellent video quality but the problem I'm having with the Trendnets is the nightvision FPS. My Trendnet cameras are set to 30fps with 1024kbps bandwidth, during the day they will run 30/30 fps no problem and at night they only run 5fps out of the 30 which makes it very difficult to capture anything at that low of fps. My Hikvision cameras are set to 20fps at 1024kbps and during the day they run 20/20fps no problem and at night they run 20fps perfectly fine.

Is the low 4-5fps nightvision a setting within the Trendnet camera to correct or would it be best to flash the HikVision v5.2.0 build 140721 firmware onto my Trendnet cameras to achieve the 20fps nightvision?

If I chose to flash the HikVision firmware onto my Trendnet cameras, how do I do that? I have the firmware downloaded on my computer and logged onto my Trendnet Camera and went to firmware upgrade and chose the HikVision firmware and tried to upload it to the camera within the Trendnet software and it failed. I see people mention to use tftp service to upload the firmware to the cameras, is there tutorial or a good how-to on the forum on how to flash the HikVision firmware to my Trendnet camera? I have TFTP service enabled on my Win10 computer, so I just need to know how to proceed from here.

Any advice or tips/tricks is greatly appreciated on how to proceed.

Last question, if I flash the HikVision firmware to the Trendnet camera and dont like the performance or if there are issues, am I able to flash the Trendnet firmware back onto my Trendnet camera and put it back to factory settings if needed?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As you know these two cameras are completely Identical except for the firmware on them.
I know that's been stated here a few times - but is it really true?
Check out your CPU info (cat /proc/cpuinfo) and see if it matches the 2032 below.
Specifically - is the clock speed 350MHz?

Processor : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l)
BogoMIPS : 525.92
Features : swp half fastmult edsp java
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 6TEJ
CPU variant : 0x1
CPU part : 0xb36
CPU revision : 5
- - - Updated - - -

So I use the debricking method to flash the HikVision firmware onto the Trendnet camera?
It was meant as a cautionary tale ...

matrix311

n3wb
Reaction score
I know that's been stated here a few times - but is it really true?
Check out your CPU info (cat /proc/cpuinfo) and see if it matches the 2032 below.
Specifically - is the clock speed 350MHz?

- - - Updated - - -

It was meant as a cautionary tale ...

How do I check the cpu info of the cameras?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry - I made an assumption that you'd accessed the camera's command shell.
If it's available in that firmware version, enable telnet or SSH if not already enabled, in the camera web GUI, maybe the 'Security' tab.
Connect to the camera with a telnet or SSH client (PuTTY is well used) and login as root with the 'admin' password as used at the web GUI.
If you get a '$' prompt, type 'su' to get to the '#' prompt, at which point the command
cat /proc/cpuinfo
will show the CPU in use.
Another useful informational command is
prtHardInfo

Oh, and by the way, the standard tftp server will not work as the Hikvision tftp updater.
The cameras and NVRs do a Hikvision-specific handshake with the Hikvision-specific tftp server.
Oddly - Hikvision seem to have removed the tftp server download from their websites.
The Hikvision UK person @Stevejn was going to check this out - but appears to have departed this forum scene after just a brief involvement. A shame, because I don't think he got a hard time ...
So one source is within @whoslooking 's downgrader download here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English

Last edited by a moderator:

matrix311

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry - I made an assumption that you'd accessed the camera's command shell.
If it's available in that firmware version, enable telnet or SSH if not already enabled, in the camera web GUI, maybe the 'Security' tab.
Connect to the camera with a telnet or SSH client (PuTTY is well used) and login as root with the 'admin' password as used at the web GUI.
If you get a '$' prompt, type 'su' to get to the '#' prompt, at which point the command
cat /proc/cpuinfo
will show the CPU in use.
Another useful informational command is
prtHardInfo

Oh, and by the way, the standard tftp server will not work as the Hikvision tftp updater.
The cameras and NVRs do a Hikvision-specific handshake with the Hikvision-specific tftp server.
Oddly - Hikvision seem to have removed the tftp server download from their websites.
The Hikvision UK person @Stevejn was going to check this out - but appears to have departed this forum scene after just a brief involvement. A shame, because I don't think he got a hard time ...
So one source is within @whoslooking 's downgrader download here: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English
So it appear my Trendnet and HikVision cameras are completely identical. Here is the information from Telnet that I pulled from all 4 cameras, as you can see they are identical in every way for my case.

ipcameras.jpg

So I use the downgrader from @whoslooking to upload the HikVision firmware to my Trendnet Cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so the same CPU, that's good. I'd seen another kernel log for nominally the same Trendnet camera that showed a much slower CPU clock.
But also worth checking the prtHardInfo command to see a bit more about the hardware. Sample below:
Code:
Start at 2015-03-18 21:38:07
Serial NO :DS-2CD2032-I20140906CCCH479614352 
V5.2.0 build 140721
hardwareVersion = 0x0
hardWareExtVersion = 0x0
encodeChans  = 1
decodeChans  = 1
alarmInNums  = 0
alarmOutNums  = 0
ataCtrlNums  = 0
flashChipNums  = 0
ramSize   = 0x4000000
networksNums  = 1
language   = 1
devType   = 38917
net reboot count = 0
SD status   = 0 (1:noraml;0:none)
Path: .
Working Copy Root Path: /data1/data_liwenwei/work/frontend_software_platform_IPC5.2.0
URL: [URL]https://192.0.0.140/Camera/Platform/Branches/frontend_software_platform_IPC5.2.0[/URL]
Repository Root: [URL]https://192.0.0.140/Camera[/URL]
Repository UUID: df2d70c3-7593-7941-af1e-571b313c0946
Revision: 84909
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: chentianyong
Last Changed Rev: 84908
Last Changed Date: 2014-07-21 21:47:41 +0800 (Mon, 21 Jul 2014)