How-to guide - Using DS-2CD2432F-IW PIR sensor with BlueIris

salesguy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just putting the finishing touches on an article on how to leverage the sensor built into this camera with blueiris. I've always felt that a PIR gives better motion detection for the events I care about - ie - people or animals than image based motion detection does. Obviously other use cases may not be as interested in heat-signature based detection but I really liked the idea.

Fortunately Ken confirmed (Ken from BlueIris) that this would work before I bought the camera. It was a little tricky to setup and get working but I can confirm it works exactly as expected and I'm pleased with the results. Now I just wish all my old dahua cameras had PIRs built into them. We had a discussion on the blueiris subforum some time ago about adding PIR detection capability to existing cameras but I basically gave up due to complexity and this very much fits the bill. At the time I was using a Rpi or arduino to detect the PIR state and then triggering an HTTP get to alert BI, but now that BI can poll the camera directly the possibility of marrying an external PIR or microwave sensor to and existing camera is interesting again.

http://www.petermcannell.com/using-ip-camera-based-pir-sensor-within-blueiris/

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the article! I tried this but i had an issue with the camera triggering the recording and keep sending triggers every second...I could not get it to stop...I already installed the camera at a location so i cant keep testing. Any ideas what i was doing wrong? Also would this not work with all hikvision cameras if you use camera motion detection to trigger the alarm (instead of the pir as in this cam)? If so then this would reduce cpu use for those who are happy with the in camera motion detection.

salesguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Federman - yeah I read that thread and was wondering what was going one. Few comments:

BI is simply polling that alarm output. You could use any camera setting to trigger it you want, heck you could even use an external sensor (like a PIR) to input a high signal to the alarm input - then trigger the output and BI would pick it up.

In the camera there is a "delay" setting for the alarm. Sounds like it was not resetting back to "inactive".

The simple way to test this would have been using a browser and watching the sensor output on the camera (eliminating BI from the equation). Sounds like that might not be possible though.

for the earlier question about more cameras not having PIR - you could easily add one to any camera that will work with BI in this regard (say another HIKVISION). You could even add a high quality microwave or dual-sensor type and get really good people detection. The only way I could figure this out before was to hook said sensor to a raspberry pi and then trigger BI with an HTTP GET but while that worked it was a huge hassle and messy. This is very clean.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check it next time im at the location. With respect to cameras without pir, i was asking whether setting the in camera video motion to trigger the alarm allow BI to record on in camera motion...this would help reduce cpu useage and make BI viable on low power pc's. In theory it should work because the alarm trigger is the same.

Reaction score
I'm interested in the HTTP GET approach for external triggering since I already have a raspberry pi connected to motion detectors for light control. Can you provide details of how to do this? Do you have to go through the whole process of logging into the web server and then doing a series of HTTP requests or is there a single HTTP GET that will suffice?

Thanks

IPDaily

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a couple of Hikvision cube cameras with built in PIR sensors but I am struggling a bit to get them to trigger Blue Iris. I am guessing the answers I need are in the link at the top of this thread, but unfortunately it appears to be broken. Does anyone happen to know what I might be doing wrong?

In the Hikvision camera setup pages under events I have got the PIR alarm turned on and have the "Trigger Recording A1" tickbox under Linkage selected, which I am assuming is what is supposed to be picked up by Blue Iris. In Blue Iris meanwhile I have ensured the "Get Events with PullPointSubscription" is checked for the camera and then under Trigger I have tried checking the "Camera's digital input or motion", "Global DIO input bits" (and both) but none of that seems to actually trigger Blue Iris.

The camera is a DS-2CD2435FWD-IW running firmware 5.5.3 if that makes any difference, Blue Iris is the latest version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a couple of Hikvision cube cameras with built in PIR sensors but I am struggling a bit to get them to trigger Blue Iris. I am guessing the answers I need are in the link at the top of this thread, but unfortunately it appears to be broken. Does anyone happen to know what I might be doing wrong?

In the Hikvision camera setup pages under events I have got the PIR alarm turned on and have the "Trigger Recording A1" tickbox under Linkage selected, which I am assuming is what is supposed to be picked up by Blue Iris. In Blue Iris meanwhile I have ensured the "Get Events with PullPointSubscription" is checked for the camera and then under Trigger I have tried checking the "Camera's digital input or motion", "Global DIO input bits" (and both) but none of that seems to actually trigger Blue Iris.

The camera is a DS-2CD2435FWD-IW running firmware 5.5.3 if that makes any difference, Blue Iris is the latest version.
There are some threads discussing that there is an issue with the newer hikvision firmware...5.4.5 and below should work...they must have changed something in the way it sends the command...I would email blue iris support and give him access to the camera so he can try to figure it out...