How to hack 5.1.2 firmware on China region cameras to English

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. Making a little sense now. I will use TFTP to upload the 5.1.6 firmware (digicap.dav). then enable telnet and send over the edited davinci.tar.gz file on the camera. reboot and cross my fingers. Dale I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
No, the digicap.dav file in the dropbox folder is the Chinese 5.1.6 140412 firmware, tftp this into the camera. Once rebooted it will be in Chinesse. Now telnet into the camera and replace the davinci file with the one in dropbox folder. login via ip address youve assigned to camera, telnet program will ask for hikvision login and password. Admin,12345. Then type "setFtpService start". Then use a ftp software/program to log into camera username: root Password 12345. (I use filezilla) Locate davinci file in camera and replace it with the one from the dropbox folder, close ftp software, in telnet program type "setFtpService stop" then type reboot and press enter. Now once camera has rebooted menus should now be in english, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the digicap.dav file in the dropbox folder is the Chinese 5.1.6 140412 firmware, tftp this into the camera. Once rebooted it will be in Chinesse. Now telnet into the camera and replace the davinci file with the one in dropbox folder. login via ip address youve assigned to camera, telnet program will ask for hikvision login and password. Admin,12345. Then type "startFTPService".
Then use a ftp software/program to log into camera username: root Password 12345. (I use filezilla) Locate davinci file in camera and replace it with the one from the dropbox folder, close ftp software, in telnet program type "stopFTPService" then type reboot and press enter. Now once camera has rebooted menus should now be in english, good luck.
What is the difference between the digicap.dav and the davinci.tar.gz ?
What software is contained in each file?
When you say to "... replace it with the one from the dropbox folder" do you mean to copy the file davinci.tar.gz from your dropbox and overwrite the original file davinci.tar.gz located in the camera?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the digicap.dav file in the dropbox folder is the Chinese 5.1.6 140412 firmware, .....
In your dropbox the title says "v5.1.6_140612" which is the official firmware version number in the US HIK site. Have you mistyped in your text above the firmware version?

Reaction score
What is the difference between the digicap.dav and the davinci.tar.gz ?
What software is contained in each file?
When you say to "... replace it with the one from the dropbox folder" do you mean to copy the file davinci.tar.gz from your dropbox and overwrite the original file davinci.tar.gz located in the camera?
In your dropbox the title says "v5.1.6_140612" which is the official firmware version number in the US HIK site. Have you mistyped in your text above the firmware version?
Sorry, the v5.1.6_140412 is the US firmware, this reverts to Chinese when TFTP'd onto the Chinese cameras. That is why the davinci file is changed so it shows in English.
The digicap.dav is the actual US firmware for Hikvision Series 2 Cameras and davinci.tar.gz is the edited hex file which makes the firmware English.

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, the v5.1.6_140412 is the US firmware, this reverts to Chinese when TFTP'd onto the Chinese cameras. That is why the davinci file is changed so it shows in English.
The digicap.dav is the actual US firmware for Hikvision Series 2 Cameras and davinci.tar.gz is the edited hex file which makes the firmware English.

Everything was going well but now TFTP is initialized per the 192.0.0.128 address and my ip cam is set to 192.0.0.64 and I reboot but TFTP doesn't seem to detect the cam. They are connected by cat5 and wifi is off. Any suggestions. I'm close...

Reaction score
Have you started TFTP then disconnected camera then reconnected camera so TFTP detects it?
Is the Camera connected to the same network as the computer?, my computer and camera are connected via a switch.

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never mind. I used chrome translate to English and rebooted from within the GUI and TFTP found it that time. No idea. Thx.

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dale, i'll need to put you on the payroll with all your help. Last question. The command: startFTPService is not found. Im in via telnet and just need to start teh FTP service.

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I did everything and uploaded the hacked davinci file and rebooted but the camera and its still in Chinese. This is a royal PIA. The camera took the new firmware because I verified it was 5.1.6 from 5.1.2. I then ftp'd the davinci. file over which succeeded. NO idea.

Reaction score
All i can suggest is to try rebooting again, same thing happened to me the first time i tried but then i logged on the next day and it was in english, every other camera has worked straight away after reboot . Cant help any more sorry, my knowledge pool is exhauseted. :D

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dale, thanks very much for your help and sticking with it. Once again user error prevails. I decided I might try pushing the firmware through TFTP. When I went to open it, I noticed it was already running. I look and sure enough every time my camera rebooted it was flashing the camera with 5.1.6, so i was erasing the hacked davinci file everytime. LOL.

Learning points:
(1) close the program.
(2) Dont mess with something when its working.

Everything works great now in ENGLISH!!! :nuts:

Last edited by a moderator:

dlowe

n3wb
Reaction score
Firmware 5.2.0 is out. I installed it (I have the Chinese version) and it is working fine except it is in Chinese with no English options. There have not been any posts about the strings to change it to English for this version yet. Are there any guides or instructions how to find the string required to change to English? It may be to complicated or require too much skill but I thought I would ask. Anyway, I don't use the web portal that often so I'll wait patiently to see what comes up.

kappa7

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried to mod the Firmware 5.2.0 but I've found two problems:

1) The ftpput and ftpget executable are missing in the 5.2.0 firmware version (maybe to try to avoid the davinci mod?)
Solution: mount a NFS or CIFS share within the classic configuration menu and then use this command (assumed that you use the first share of the list):
cp /dav/davinci.tar.gz /mnt/nfs00
Then modify the davinci file on the share and when you are done you can copy back to the camera with this command:
cp /mnt/nfs00/davinci.tar.gz /dav

2) The original string in 5.1.6 firmware "8a 30 dd e5 38 a0 9d e5" is there, but when I modify it with "8a 30 dd e5 01 a0 a0 e3" and reboot simply the camera doesn't boot anymore. I had to restore the old firmware with the tftp.
Anyone has an idea of another string value to try?

dlowe

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried to mod the Firmware 5.2.0 but I've found two problems:

1) The ftpput and ftpget executable are missing in the 5.2.0 firmware version (maybe to try to avoid the davinci mod?)
Solution: mount a NFS or CIFS share within the classic configuration menu and then use this command (assumed that you use the first share of the list):
cp /dav/davinci.tar.gz /mnt/nfs00
Then modify the davinci file on the share and when you are done you can copy back to the camera with this command:
cp /mnt/nfs00/davinci.tar.gz /dav

2) The original string in 5.1.6 firmware "8a 30 dd e5 38 a0 9d e5" is there, but when I modify it with "8a 30 dd e5 01 a0 a0 e3" and reboot simply the camera doesn't boot anymore. I had to restore the old firmware with the tftp.
Anyone has an idea of another string value to try?
Thanks for this info. I too came to the same conclusion. I went ahead and reverted back to 5.1.6 until smarter people then me can figure out 5.2.0.

ipso

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this forum and have a dumb question about remote telnet. I hope it's OK to attach my question to this thread, and if it's the wrong place please let me know and I'll repost.

I updated a DS-2CD3332-I from 5.1.2 to 5.1.6 and as expected after the update characters are now in Chinese. I have the hacked English version Davinchi file on an external server ready to telnet like I did once before when I was on the same LAN as the camera except now I'm away for some time so I thought I'd try remote telnet but can't login over WAN like I did previously when on LAN. I'm using OSX Terminal Remote Login (telnet), I entered the remote IP and appended the http port and here's what I get:

Trying xx.xxx.xxx.xx...
Connected to xx.xxx.xxx.xx.res.bhn.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connection closed by foreign host.

[Process completed]

I then tried appending standard telnet port 23:

Trying xx.xxx.xxx.xx...
-telnet: connect to address xx.xxx.xxx.xx: Connection refused
-telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

[Process completed]

I enabled telnet in the camera and think this means the camera telnet daemon is listening on the standard Port 23 but I haven't opened port 23 on the remote router for fear of being hacked and don't see an option on the camera to enable SSH on Port 22. Can anyone offer some tips on what I might be doing wrong? I'm going around in circles here. Is there an alternative to telnet such as sftp? If necessary I'll live with Chinese until back home on LAN in a few months. Again, sorry for the dumb question. TIA

SimkinCA

n3wb
Reaction score
I pulled a rookie move and loaded 5.2.0 without reading the forums (always like the latest and greatest, but this time it bit back) and instead of doing one , I figured I would do 2 at a time. Now I have a camera that is at 5.2.0 and Chinese only. And I have a cam that appears to be bricked (as I attempted to take someone's posted 5.1.6 and did the tftp trick it worked the first time,but then I took my divinci.tar.gz file from my good camera and placed it on the filesystem and cycled it and I think that process destroyed the filesystem).

Power it up link light stays on solid (no matter how long it sits, even after a reset), it doesn't make an attempt to talk to the tftp server, nor does it attempt to communicate on the wire at all (running tcpdump). So can anyone help? Is there a way I can fix my mistakes and make my lesson a bit less costly?

Thanks

Tory