How to hide my Blue Iris hard drives

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my Blue Iris computer in my office and it is not hidden. My office is small and difficult to hide, I've thought of everything and there is no where to hide it. I am thinking it should be hidden in case someone breaks in and steals my recording of them.

What I want to do is hide my hard drives I have recording on. I am thinking I shouldn't get an external enclosure because they are mostly just USB 3.0 vs the 6GB sata connections.

Was anyone else in this situation?

Reactions: 338

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have my Blue Iris computer in my office and it is not hidden. My office is small and difficult to hide, I've thought of everything and there is no where to hide it. I am thinking it should be hidden in case someone breaks in and steals my recording of them.
Consider a NAS (Network Attached Storage); you can hide it several rooms away, in a closet, etc., hooks up to your LAN via Ethernet (network) cable.
There are many sizes and brands, example ==>> here <<--.
Many threads on this forum regarding BI and NAS ==>> here <<==.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Consider a NAS (Network Attached Storage); you can hide it several rooms away, in a closet, etc., hooks up to your LAN via Ethernet (network) cable.
There are many sizes and brands, example ==>> here <<--.
Many threads on this forum regarding BI and NAS ==>> here <<==.
Thanks. So Blue Iris doesn't run a NAS, correct? A NAS just stores all your data remotely and BI can write to those drives constantly?
Is this how most people setup their BI?

Would like to get @fenderman 's input too.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2× 3TB USB3 drives to record 16 hd cams 24/7 15 fps. Works fine with USB3. These 2 drives I bolted on the wall.

Cor

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2× 3TB USB3 drives to record 16 hd cams 24/7 15 fps. Works fine with USB3. These 2 drives I bolted on the wall.

Cor
You are correct. The reason I suggested the NAS solution is because I had the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP wanted to secure the drives farther than the suggested maximum distance that a non-active USB cable provides (USB 2.0 = 16 ft. 5 in., USB 3.0/3.1 = 9 ft. 10 in.).

The OP stated "there is no where to hide it" and my thinking was an NAS could be hidden very remotely, several rooms away, in a closet, basement, etc. Otherwise, a USB 3.0 drive is an excellent choice. I am using one now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. So Blue Iris doesn't run a NAS, correct? A NAS just stores all your data remotely and BI can write to those drives constantly?
Is this how most people setup their BI?

Would like to get @fenderman 's input too.
It's always best to record to a local hard drive that's installed inside the PC via Sata. . You can back up to NAS buy cloning the cameras or by having the folder copied... Desktop PCS are rarely if ever stolen... If you are worried there are locks you can use the lock it down... Yes they can be broken but it takes time.... You should have an alarm system installed if they do go in once it sounds they're not going to stay for long and they're certainly not going to take your PC....