How to improve image quality at night while in day mode?

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking for some tips on improving the clarity of my outdoor 2332 turret cams at night time. The exterior of my house is illuminated well enough to leave the cameras in day mode however the image is very noisey at night. I cannot make out faces or license plates even if they are 5ft from the camera. In daylight I can read plates at 20ft away. The camera in question is a 2332 with a 2.8mm lens. I have another 2332 with a 4mm lens that I plan on putting on the other side of the driveway which hopefully has more clarity being 4mm.

2332 with 2.8mm lens
3MP
20 FPS
8192 bitrate
I-frame 20
Smoothing: 50

Night settings:
Saturation 55
Hue 50
Brightness 75
Contrast 60
Sharpness 30
Exposure 1/30
WDR 15
WB AMB1
Noise Reduction 50

Attached are two pics and a video from 5:30AM this morning of a taxi that pulled into my driveway. I can't make out the passengers or the plate. Turns out the cabbie pulled into the wrong driveway as I caught a glimpse of my neighbor getting out of the car from my front door cam.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is low light motion blur..you will need to adjust your exposure levels....that may introduce other issues though..
Part of the problem is that the camera is mounted too high..if it was lower, you would have the plate after the vehicle came to a stop.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing as fender. That is a very hard angle to get good footage. The cam is looking almost straight down.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can mount the camera lower and then angle the lenses out more, you would be in better shape.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
The cam is about 9ft from the ground, right under the eave of my garage. I don't want it mounted on the brick of the house so that is as low as it can be mounted. That cam, being a 2.8mm lens is really there to give more of an overview of the driveway and yard so not being able to get a plate with a car parked right up to it is no biggie but I was hoping I could catch it as it approached the camera. I will mount the 4mm lens on the other side and see if it gets a better angle further down the drive.