How to increase storage area for files in BI?

Reaction score
My storage seems to be almost full and alerts are not available over a day old. How do I increase the storage?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Add more disk drive, as in terabytes. Post a screen capture of your storage from the status tab of Blue Iris. Throw in screen caps of the configurations for storage, New, Stored, Alerts in particular.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you not set it up to delete older clips either based upon total space or number of days?

Reaction score
Yes i have set that up with 40gb & 7 days - I am using 4 cams 24/7 and never had a problem till a few days ago - I just allocated 20 more gbs yesterday to make the total of 40

it seems to just be keeping the alerts for one day more or less

thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The alerts are just database pointers into the continuously recorded video files.
In BI click the calendar above the alerts and select the day for the alerts.

Depending on the type of cameras and the FPS you can record over 3 GB per hour for each camera. Most of use use a standalone dictated internal drive for BI videos, 4TB minimum.
The allocated disk storage for BI is supposed to be full after BI was been running for a while.

==========================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.
10) for performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments - I will just abandon my attempt to correct this issue, my level of computer knowledge is not sufficient to follow may of your suggestions. Thanks again for your efforts. Jerry

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Where are you having a problem? Screen shots using Snipping Tool, Programs>Windows Accessories>Snipping Tool are easy to do and are automatically saved to your personal "Photos" directory. Just drag it into the window of the thread that you're posting.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a newer replacement for snipping tool that is even easier to access. Windows key + Shift + S, then click and drag to form a rectangle to capture. The image is automatically saved to clipboard.

So sharing a partial screen capture is as easy as Windows key + Shift + S, drag, paste in forum.

There will also be a little button bar at the top of the screen where you choose a different capture method if you prefer.

Reaction score
Print Screen doesn't work on my own computers anymore (one on 10, the other on 11). It's a recent development. In searching for answers online, I stumbled onto a thread on Reddit in which a few people speculated or had "heard" that Microsoft is doing this over "copyright concerns." Of course, as with speculation, no real evidence was put forth.
Confusingly for me, we're basically doing the same thing with Snip, so what's the point?

I do have to add, on my work PC, this hasn't pushed through....yet.
I'm guilty of using Print Screen to snatch images of presentations during Zoom meetings so that I can reference the slides later...maybe that's Microsoft's target.