How to RESET DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP WDR EXIR Turret

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I purchased and successfully configured this camera in late December. Everything was fine until yesterday; now there is no signal in Blue Iris (message says check port /password), and the camera will not accept the configured password to log in via web browser.

I've tried SAPD and iVMS as well. They all see the camera (on the expected port), but won't accept the password or allow it to be changed.

With most other Hicks, I can just access the camera and "factory reset" by holding a button while applying power. This unit doesn't appear to have such a feature.

SW version is 5.4.xxx

The "Password Reset Tool" code doesn't work.

Any thoughts on how to regain access?

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - did you find a fix to this?

I have exactly the same problem...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If the camera is connected to an NVR, and is still working OK except that you've forgotten the password you set, then either:
- The camera password is the same as that of the NVR if you enabled the option for that.
or
- You can export the IPC configuration via the NVR web GUI, load it into Excel or equivalent, and inspect the camera passwords which are held in plain text in the .xls file.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
If the camera is connected to an NVR, and is still working OK except that you've forgotten the password you set, then either:
- The camera password is the same as that of the NVR if you enabled the option for that.
or
- You can export the IPC configuration via the NVR web GUI, load it into Excel or equivalent, and inspect the camera passwords which are held in plain text in the .xls file.
This sounds very promising!! How do I export the IPC config? I'm using the web GUI to access.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it thanks, will try this and see how I get on and report back.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - this didn't work. I managed to get the export but it only displayed the headers, with no data beneath it.

Hikvision suggested:
Unplug the power supply and re-plug in
Change the IP address of the computer running the (iVMS-4200) software.

Still no luck.

I am left with "The User is locked" or "Username and password error" for the two cameras i am having issues with.

Who knew it was so difficult to add a camera to the system?!

Any last resort ideas? I've already reset the NVR back to factory settings - that made the problem worse (was 1 camera down, now 2 after this).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi - this didn't work. I managed to get the export but it only displayed the headers, with no data beneath it.
That's disappointing.
I wonder if Hikvision have closed off this facility in the more recent NVR firmware?
Maybe not - I just tried it via the web GUI on a 7816N-E2 running firmware 3.4.91 (almost up to date, 3.4.92 is current) and it worked OK.
What firmware version is on your NVR?
The file is pretty small - do you feel like posting it here?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Everything was fine until yesterday;
I have exactly the same problem...
I'm assuming the above ...
But wondering if maybe you have not actually added the cameras to the NVR.

*edit*
Any last resort ideas? I've already reset the NVR back to factory settings - that made the problem worse (was 1 camera down, now 2 after this).
Well - that will certainly wipe out any camera configuration that was held on the NVR.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR is DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A and I am on V3.4.6 Build 160325 (sounds like i am out of date but when i click on update it says "No newer version available").

Attached is Config3-copy.bin i wasnt able to upload the .xls file, so please rename extension when you get it.

Copy paste from excel A1:H4 below:
_ _ _ _ _
Device Type DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A Language Type(Chinese:2,Other:1) 1
IP Camera No IP Camera Address Protocol Management Port Channel No User Name Admin Password Transfer Protocol
_ _ _ _ _

"But wondering if maybe you have not actually added the cameras to the NVR." - I believe i have added it as it is showing up in the IP Cameras available?

The reset didn't wipe the camera config as it's saying there is an incorrect username password.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
believe i have added it as it is showing up in the IP Cameras available?
Available to add?
Nope - it's simply noticing that they exist, much like SADP does, from their network broadcasts.
If you'd added the camera, it would no longer be listed as available to add.
The reset didn't wipe the camera config as it's saying there is an incorrect username password.
Yes it did - that's what a 'reset to defaults' does. The camera configuration details that might have still been in the NVR IPC configuration, if the cameras had previously been successfully added and had been working OK.

The attached file just has the headers - no longer is there any camera configuration detail, it's been wiped by the NVR reset to defaults.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it did - that's what a 'reset to defaults' does. The camera configuration details that might have still been in the NVR IPC configuration, if the cameras had previously been successfully added and had been working OK.
Agree - it must have done. But i am still left with the issue of " incorrect username password". Short of throwing the damn thing out I'm out of ideas!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You still have several options.

If the camera was obtained via a Hikvision 'Authorised Distributor', then the 'official' method is to use the 'Forgot password' link in SADP to export a file which Hikvision have the ability to sign and when returned can be imported back into SADP to perform a password reset. If you don't have SADP - it's a good tool to have. Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
The camera would need to be left powered on as the start time is a key in the process.
If not obtained via an Authorised Distributor, Hikvision will not help.

If you are convinced the camera is an 'Upgradeable' English/International version (check out the product description from where you bought it), then if the bootloader will still poll for the Hikvision-specific tftp updater then you could try an 'upgrade' to the same firmware version, which would wipe the existing configuration and put the camera into the 'inactive' state, requiring you to create a new password. SADP will show the exact firmware version. There should be a match here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
The tftp updater (not the firmware, ignore that) and the usage instructions (set the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128 with a wired connection, start the tftp updater with digicap.dav in the same folder, power cycle the camera) can be found in the first link in this post : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
What I don't know is if that functionality still exists in these R6 cameras.

And finally, for those with some basic electronics skills, a connection to the serial console allows some delving around inside.
But I'll not go into that here.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you again for this detailed response, appreciate the time spent.

SADP will show the exact firmware version.
I am using a WiFi connection on my Windows Laptop using the latest version of SADP - it only shows my NVR, no cameras so I don't know how i would find my camera.

I think I will contact their support again tomorrow as this can't be normal. Spent £1k on a brand new system that requires this amount of technical know how (as much as i like it) seems wrong. I only wanted to add my 4th camera to the system and this is what happens. Useless.

Cheers, will update you on response.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
no cameras so I don't know how i would find my camera.
You'd need to unplug the camera from the NVR PoE port, power it with a 12V DC adaptor, connect it to your LAN. Then SADP will see it, and you can export the password reset file.
And the tftp updater does not play well with a PC on WiFi.
If you don't have a 12V DC adaptor - leave the camera connected to the NVR PoE port, and plug the PC into an unused NVR PoE port.
SADP will then also find the cameras.

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
Aha....we have a bit of success.

I have now wired the laptop to the NVR and SADP shows them all, managed to upgrade two of the cameras to latest version.

But...the 2 problematic ones are saying "Failed to connect to the IP camera" - Any ideas on this?

So close...

graemac

n3wb
Reaction score
SUCCESS.

Sent export of each camera (connected laptop hardwired to NVR and started up SADP) to HikVision and they sent back another file to import and reset passwords. Job done.

Thanks again for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there. Sigh of relief all round. And good support by Hikvision.

Now - out of curiosity if you wish to try it - assuming you now have all cameras added to the NVR - do an NVR IPC configuration export, save the file in a safe place, suitably labelled, and open it with Excel or equivalent and confirm you can read the passwords in plaintext.
That would save writing them down and forgetting where the post-it note was.