How to run ethernet cable through exterior wall?

Reaction score
I'm new to the world of IP cameras, but I have a IPC-T5442T-ZE camera that I got working (inside the house) with my POE hub and its video feed is showing up in Blue Iris. Now I want to move the camera outside so I can try it in different locations, but to do that I need to figure out how to run an ethernet cable from inside my house to outside with messing up the weather proofing or causing some kind of leak. I couldn't find any material about this on the wiki. Can anyone point me to some good references or tutorials? Should I hire a pro?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to the world of IP cameras, but I have a IPC-T5442T-ZE camera that I got working (inside the house) with my POE hub and its video feed is showing up in Blue Iris. Now I want to move the camera outside so I can try it in different locations, but to do that I need to figure out how to run an ethernet cable from inside my house to outside with messing up the weather proofing or causing some kind of leak. I couldn't find any material about this on the wiki. Can anyone point me to some good references or tutorials? Should I hire a pro?
HI GoldLeader

Various ways to do this, and various different ways homes are constructed.

While testing you can just run the ethernet cable from under most garage doors ( typically they have a weather seal on the bottom ) .. just tape the cat5e/5 cable down on the ground where the door hits the ground ( if the door closes down .. if side closing you may need to try it a bit different )

Once you know where you want to place the camera(s) you can look at how to run the cables to that location.

hint: I like junction boxes ..

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no idea how houses are constructed in California so take what you want from this. I am certainly no expert.

When i got my first camera i cut an insainely long piece of cat5e and poked it through an extractor fan vent to the outside (isolating the fan first), crimped it and then placed my camera screwed to a 2x4 clammped to a ladder around various locations to test. If your windows have the ability to "lock open" there is usually enough space to stop the cable being pinched too much also.

My walls are concrete block cavity walls with insulated plasterboard on the inside and further insulation on the outside. (see diagram)
insulated-slab-cavity-wall.jpg

I'm in the process of adding more cameras to an area where i will have to go through the wall with multiple cables. My "plan" is to drill a hole large enough at a slightly downward angle (inside to out) which will accomadate a bit of pipe/conduit. This will feed from inside the house, bridging the cavity through to the outside.

On the outside wall, i will get an IP rated junction box with rear entry to accept the pipe from the house. Something like this wiska box perhaps.

wiska-box.jpg

I can then branch the cables out of that using the appropriate IP rated cable glands.
cable-gland.png

I've seen cable grommets that can accomodate multiple cables. If i can find one that will fit the pipe then i will use that to stop any access into the pipe around the cables.
grommet.JPG

Thats my plan anyway. I'm sure someone who actually does this for a living will come along and scold me for thinking of such shinannagins but i thought i'd put it out there even if it only serves as an example of what not to do for others :rofl:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have a basement with a Bilco door that's an easy way to get cables outside for testing. There's usually a slight gap where the two door panels meet that a CAT cable will pass through without being crimped.

Another dodge is to use some closed cell foam, like the foam used to seal a window with a window air conditioner in it. Cut a strip to the length of the window and run the cable out the window with the foam on top of the cable. Close the window down and cut a piece, or two, of 1x2 to jam the top of the window against the top of the frame to lock it in position and prevent it from being opened from the outside. That technique can be made more "permanent if you use a piece of 1x2 across the bottom of the window and drill through that for the CAT cable(s). The 1x2s to keep the window locked can then be made even tighter since crushing the cable won't be a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks to sebastiantombs for the foam-in-the-window idea and to Holbs for the idea of just running a temporary cable under a door! With those two suggestions, I should be able to do my testing.

If I had a garage door, I would definitely try mat200's suggestion, but I don't. (Guess I should have mentioned that.)

Also, thanks to Flintstone61 for suggesting the EmpireTech PFA130-E white waterproof junction box bracket for the camera. Ordered.

I'll come back with a map and pictures once I have a better idea of where I want things to be. At that point, I may try something along the lines of Sphinxicus' detailed proposal (I appreciate all the photos!).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.