How to : Smarten up the dumbed-down HiWatch IPC-T140 4MP IP camera

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read this post and forgot to reply - apologies.

Maybe, but need some more detail.
A source for the firmware is needed. What version is currently running?
Also needed is the internal model number - this usually shows in the prtHardInfo commend at a shell prompt.

The main app program davinci.

@leecher repacker tool should work OK, provided the firmware isn't new enough to use code-signing protection.
[MCR] Hikvision packer/unpacker for 5.3.x and newer firmware

The current firmware is: 5.4.5 170801

Telnet/Ssh is disabled I cannot enter prtHardInfo so.

I guess it is the nearly the same process then your camera.

Can you explain the steps about modifying the modell number in davinci file? This thread seems a mix of what you did in first post (only results posted) and the help for a different camera.

I do not understand the "How To", as there are no steps provided.

What really annoys me about "HiWatch" is, I have expensive Hikvision NVR but cannot add this camera with Hik Protocoll only Onvif works. The error is the Username an Password is wrong however it is correct.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not understand the "How To", as there are no steps provided.
Yes, I didn't want to provide much detail as these are current-model cameras, and Hikvision do take note of any 'improvements' and try to block them in future firmware versions.
I'll give you some more detail in a 'conversation'.

iceman2019

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I managed to update my IPC T140 using the R6 firmware and mods as described by Alastair. I now have the smart features on the cams.
Thanks to Alastair for all his help on this.

One issue I found was that the cams now do not automatically switch to day time mode. So they are constantly stuck on night mode even in the daytime.
But if I set the cams to scheduled switch then it will switch to day mode and then night mode at the scheduled times.

Did anyone else have this issue after updating?

Classmaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello do you know if hiwatch IPC-B640-Z can be smartened up? It looks similar spec to my Hikvision DS-2CD2642FWD-IZS

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello do you know if hiwatch IPC-B640-Z can be smartened up?
I don't know, as I don't have that particular model.
But I suspect that it probably can be.
It needs a bit of hands-on experimenting with how it's devType is handled in the firmware to find out what tweaks can be done.

Classmaz

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know, as I don't have that particular model.
But I suspect that it probably can be.
It needs a bit of hands-on experimenting with how it's devType is handled in the firmware to find out what tweaks can be done.
Any tips on what to do?

if not any recommendations to replace 3 x 2CD2042WD I’ve been very disappointed with them.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any tips on what to do?
How far into firmware hacking are you?
There is a jump table indexed on the devType in the main app that sets up the capabilities for the specific model as defined in its factory-set bootpara table.
It's a matter of switching the jump destination for a model a little smarter that runs on the same hardware.

Classmaz

n3wb
Reaction score
How far into firmware hacking are you?
There is a jump table indexed on the devType in the main app that sets up the capabilities for the specific model as defined in its factory-set bootpara table.
It's a matter of switching the jump destination for a model a little smarter that runs on the same hardware.
I haven’t any experience with firmware hacking but will dedicate time if it’s worth my while. Would you hack the cam I listed which is currently £70 or am I wasting my money? I see the new range hi look have Colorvu lite wonder if that will be worth looking at and see if the firmware can be hacked?

i think the NVR I currently have is limited to 6mp cams (7608ni-e2/a) So your 8mp would be wasted on my machine.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I see the new range hi look have Colorvu lite wonder if that will be worth looking at and see if the firmware can be hacked?
I haven't seen that - do you have a link or reference?

i think the NVR I currently have is limited to 6mp cams (7608ni-e2/a) So your 8mp would be wasted on my machine.
It depends on how loaded the NVR is. It can work - just a little sluggish on playback.

el_Pedr0

n3wb
Reaction score
Oooh - just stumbled on this thread and it's super timely for me. My NVR died a while ago and I'm only just getting my collection of IPC-T140 cameras set up again. But this time I'm going to explore Blue Iris because I was frustrated with the limitations of the HiWatch NVR that I had. By the sounds of this thread, I can also make the cameras smarter at the same time.

Would I be able to harness the benefits of smartening up these cameras if I go down the Blue Iris route? If so, I'd be really grateful for a little bit more detail on how to do what @alastairstevenson achieved without raising the ire of Hikvision by laying too much stuff out in the open. Any pointers much appreciated.

Last edited: