How to stop bees/wasps/hornets from entering PTZ cams?

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with two of my PTZ cams. I have seen a bee/hornet/wasp entering two of my cams. I'm afraid to spray the cams as that might damage them. Any ideas how I can safely remove them/keep them out?

Thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say a good, kill on contact, wasp/hornet/bee spray is safe to use. Try to stay away from the lens, over spray, but even that should be fine after you clean it with a regular window cleaner and soft cloth.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd say a good, kill on contact, wasp/hornet/bee spray is safe to use. Try to stay away from the lens, over spray, but even that should be fine after you clean it with a regular window cleaner and soft cloth.
Thanks. I also thought about "painting" on some spray too. Don't think it will last though

Reaction score
Wonder if any of these work?

IDK, but I think they are worth a try. I HATE Yellow Jackets. Just tiny ass versions of evil. Wasps....at least where i live....pretty much leave you alone. But Yellow Jackets, just winged evil. :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IDK, but I think they are worth a try. I HATE Yellow Jackets. Just tiny ass versions of evil. Wasps....at least where i live....pretty much leave you alone. But Yellow Jackets, just winged evil. :)
So true, they chase you all over the yard, LOL but Wasp seem to hurt more when stung. Every year I deal with them in our outdoor Umbrellas.

Last year one got me on my upper cheek, the whole left side of my face went numb, LOL

Reaction score
So true, they chase you all over the yard, LOL but Wasp seem to hurt more when stung. Every year I deal with them in our outdoor Umbrellas.

Last year one got me on my upper cheek, the whole left side of my face went numb, LOL
This is correct. Yellow Jackets just string the crap out of you...it hurts, but not like a Wasp. I have had a wasp 'fall' on me and sting me...seriously fing hurt, but it did not attack me. Freak'n yellow jackets...just little winged can's of whoop ass chasing the old fat man around the yard!

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could put some of this stuff (diluted correctly obviously) on a rag and rub it on the camera housing:

It says to reapply indoor crack and crevice every 90 days. So, maybe if you work some into the "guts" of the PTZ, it could kill those wasps for maybe that long. Good news is that it also works on spiders, which if you have the IRs enabled may also be a problem.

I'm not 100% sure what breaks down the chemical, but I believe it's UV. So, if your camera is under an eave and not exposed to sunlight, it may last longer than 30 days on the camera surface areas.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm working on my AR-BEE rifle. It gets rid of the bees but the cams too. Needs some tweaking I think.

View attachment 133068
I got this for Christmas a few years back :)

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking for an alternative to the wasp spray that has harsh chemicals and found this on clearance at a home supply store. The only ingredient is lemongrass oil. Figured it wouldn't work, but for $3 it was worth a try. I used it and was amazed! Way better than anything I had used before, and I even liked the smell; but not by the wasps that were killed on contact. Went back to the store and bought 9 more cans and have been using my supply for years.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I got this for Christmas a few years back :)
I got one of those too but was disappointed with it. Thought that it would be good sport with the carpenter bees that try to eat my house every year. Even with the higher power outdoor version or whatever it is still not enough power/range to do much. You can take out a fly if close that's about it. Rat shot works well but not really a suburban neighborhood friendly approach. ; )

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was looking for an alternative to the wasp spray that has harsh chemicals and found this on clearance at a home supply store. The only ingredient is lemongrass oil. Figured it wouldn't work, but for $3 it was worth a try. I used it and was amazed! Way better than anything I had used before, and I even liked the smell; but not by the wasps that were killed on contact. Went back to the store and bought 9 more cans and have been using my supply for years.
Interesting choice... I have 2 concerns:
1. Lemongrass oil is an essential oil. It may etch the lense.
2. Lemongrass oil is an amazing bee attractant. We're at about the end of swarm season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a swarm of bees on a camera after spraying it. I spilled some Lemongrass oil on a shelf on the back porch and had a bunch of bees settle there...No queen, but I guess it was part of a swarm that got confused and settled there.
Edit to add: beekeeping supply stores even sell lemongrass oil for attracting bees:
Though, you get better prices elsewhere. So, it's not just my anecdotal example. It's established that it mimics a bee pheromone.

Last edited: