How to tell if Starlight+ or not?

geoguz

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys,

Wondering if anyone can advise how to tell from model values or otherwise if a camera is starlight+ or not?
e.g. IPC-HDBW5241R-ASE is it starlight+ or not?
Dahua does not make it easy to tell what each model supports what tech :(
I am guessing based on lux but even those specs depending what you read vary..

Looking for a camera in case of no light, hence considering the startlight+ option that claim that can work even in no-light (to some extent as we can assume).

Appreciate the tip.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Starlight, Starlight+, DarkFighter, Full Color, etc. is simply a marketing term and there is no consistent criteria across names.

You should find the reviews here with video and make a determination on if the field of view light is similar to yours. How it performs is more important than a marketing name.

This is why you cannot buy a camera based on marketing terms like Starlight. This is an example from a manufacturer marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1634600634423.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
If you follow these simple tips below you won't go far wrong.

Try to avoid dome cams as they reflect at night.

Sensor Size 1/1.8" - 4mp max Res
Sensor Size 1/2.8" - 2mp max Res

The HIKVISION DS-2CD2087G2-LU is an excellent camera also with a 1/1.2" Sensor and F1:0 lens but please bear in mind "EVERY" camera needs light at night.

geoguz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Sensor Size 1/1.8" - 4mp max Res
Sensor Size 1/2.8" - 2mp max Res
I have collated such notes over the last week and must say, great valuable information found on this forum.

Which brings me to conclude to add some light in the location above & tab behind the camera will overlook into a rear garden to cover the rear or the premises. So since I will have some light, and fixed 2.8mm & 1/2.8" lens is fine and a 2MP then I can maybe save some $'s too. So now on the hunt for a bullet to meet these specs and within budget.

Again thanks guys.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try to avoid dome cams as they reflect at night.
+1^^^
And UV, smog and ozone attacks the plastic dome making them "foggy" during the day as well.
Mist and fog causes dust to stick to the exterior of the dome, thus requiring frequent cleaning.
Over time, both of the above causes more bounce-back from the cam's own IR at night.