How to use Hikvision Audio and Alarm IO connections

happyinbhc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello BHC,

Sorry but I never used the audio out capability.

However thinking back forty five years to when I used to play with audio amplifiers these are the possibilities that come to mind for the buzzing issue :
  • your power supply may be the cause. Try a different one.
  • you are using a fairly sensitive amplifier with unscreened/unshielded wires from your camera. Try screened/shielded audio cable. Ebay or an electronics shop will sell this
  • an earth/ground loop. Google for some articles on how to fix this.

The echoing sounds like a feedback loop. This is caused when the microphone you are speaking into picks up your amplified voice from the speaker and amplifies it again. This process repeats and results in an unholy cacophony of screeching noise. The solution is to place the speaker well away from the microphone.

Good luck.
Hey Mike
To let you know the process, this speaker was an old computer speaker (harmon kardon). I tested the speaker before this project & no buzz. I think what I am going to do is try your suggestion & put a mono amplifier inline from the camera then out to the speaker. I will use shielded cable from the camera to the amp then from the amp to the speaker. I found an amp that wont break the bank if you want to have a look copy & paste this address; "Low Voltage Mono Audio Amplifier Board NJM386D LM386 - Ideal for Battery Operation" from www.parts-express.com!

Thanks for your input, I still find it hard to believe your thread was the only one I could find with the best explanation of possibly how to solve this

Mike

happyinbhc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Mike
To let you know the process, this speaker was an old computer speaker (harmon kardon). I tested the speaker before this project & no buzz. I think what I am going to do is try your suggestion & put a mono amplifier inline from the camera then out to the speaker. I will use shielded cable from the camera to the amp then from the amp to the speaker. I found an amp that wont break the bank if you want to have a look copy & paste this address; "Low Voltage Mono Audio Amplifier Board NJM386D LM386 - Ideal for Battery Operation" from www.parts-express.com!

Thanks for your input, I still find it hard to believe your thread was the only one I could find with the best explanation of possibly how to solve this

Mike
PS the copy & paste above turned it to a google search, select the first choice from Parts Express if you want to have a look

Reaction score
Hey Mike

Mike
The amplifier you found seems worth a shot. As an FYI you don't normally need to use shielded cable for the connections from the amplifier to the speaker. Just between the camera and the amplifier. That said it wont cause a problem.

Also when wiring the shielded cable , the shield (the outer surrounding wire) needs to be connected to ground (GND) on both the camera and the amplifier. If you still get a hum with the new set up try using a battery to temporarily power the amplifier. If that then works you know you have an issue with the power supply.

Good luck.

happyinbhc

n3wb
Reaction score
The amplifier you found seems worth a shot. As an FYI you don't normally need to use shielded cable for the connections from the amplifier to the speaker. Just between the camera and the amplifier. That said it wont cause a problem.

Also when wiring the shielded cable , the shield (the outer surrounding wire) needs to be connected to ground (GND) on both the camera and the amplifier. If you still get a hum with the new set up try using a battery to temporarily power the amplifier. If that then works you know you have an issue with the power supply.

Good luck.
Hey Mike
So when I make the camera connection (it is that same green connector you had a pic of) I will put the red into out, the black & the outer surrounding wire into the G slot? (I bought a 5 foot piece of 22-2 shielded from Home Depot for this test) Then the same on the amp side IN

Reaction score
When you say red wire into Out, make sure you use Terminal A (audio out) on the green connector block. I think that was what you meant but I was not 100% certain.

With the ground what you proposed would work. However I don’t think the wire hole in the connector block is big enough to take both wires. Just use the surrounding wire (screen) and don’t bother wiring the black at either end.

Good luck.

Mike

happyinbhc

n3wb
Reaction score
When you say red wire into Out, make sure you use Terminal A (audio out) on the green connector block. I think that was what you meant but I was not 100% certain.

With the ground what you proposed would work. However I don’t think the wire hole in the connector block is big enough to take both wires. Just use the surrounding wire (screen) and don’t bother wiring the black at either end.

Good luck.

Mike
Ok Mike, I will keep you posted on this project. My goal is to put this camera pointing at my front door & act like the Ring Doorbell. However I am locating the camera above & behind anyone at my front door. If I am able to make this work it might be comical when I respond from above & behind them, thanks again.

MK

happyinbhc

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok Mike, I will keep you posted on this project. My goal is to put this camera pointing at my front door & act like the Ring Doorbell. However I am locating the camera above & behind anyone at my front door. If I am able to make this work it might be comical when I respond from above & behind them, thanks again.

MK
Hello Mike from Reading. Your initial suggestion for the mono audio amplifier was I think what made my project work, I now have 2 way audio at my front door with the Hikvision camera, thanks again as your post was all I could find regarding 2 way audio, even Hikvision had nothing & the place I bought the camera from wasnt any help

Reaction score
Hello Mike from Reading. Your initial suggestion for the mono audio amplifier was I think what made my project work, I now have 2 way audio at my front door with the Hikvision camera, thanks again as your post was all I could find regarding 2 way audio, even Hikvision had nothing & the place I bought the camera from wasnt any help
Great news. Well done. Mike

Ponf

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to activate my camera only when my alarm is active (no one is home). Is this possible? I have read you can control the recording with the Alarm input. But is the live feed still activated? I want to deactivate both live feed and recording when the alarm is off (what if someone hacked in to my camera and I am running around naked, as an example...). And when alarm is on I want to start live feed and also record (either continuous but best with motion).

I was thinking about DS-2CD2555FWD-IS. But maybe the Alarm input won't help me with what I want? If so, is there any other way? Must I power off the whole camera every day when alarm activates?