How to view a Hikvision camera from an external network?

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can only view it locally, at home. Is there any option to enable viewing the cameras with an external network? Dahua does it natively without applying any configuration.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Best method is to set-up a VPN server on your home network's router: VPN Primer for Noobs

Dahua (and hik) offer a P2P setup that is less secure in that it enables port forwarding on your network. This method increases the chances of unwanted Internet visitors gaining access to your cameras and other devices on your home network: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

Peachs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Best method is to set-up a VPN server on your home network's router: VPN Primer for Noobs

Dahua (and hik) offer a P2P setup that is less secure in that it enables port forwarding on your network. This method increases the chances of unwanted Internet visitors gaining access to your cameras and other devices on your home network: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)
I do not mind in this case P2P configuration but how is it done in Hikvision? In Dahua I don't have to do anything to view with the app outside my network.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I do not mind in this case P2P configuration but how is it done in Hikvision? In Dahua I don't have to do anything to view with the app outside my network.
It has been my experience that the prompt for enabling/disabling the P2P feature is typically presented during the initial configuration of the camera the occurs at first login. I've also seen the P2P feature toggle in the settings of the camera, viewed when logged in to the camera's GUI.

All of this will vary based on make/model of camera, as well as the age of the firmware running on the cam.

Some of the manufacturer utilities/tools can be found here