How to view Camera/NVR outside network on VPN?

Reaction score
After so many hours researching the internet and watching youtube channels, I finally configured openvpn on Asus RT-AC86U/Merlin using it's own vpn server. I have Dahua PTZ camera and LaView NVR with 7 cameras on it and my questions are:

1) How could I access these 2 devices using the openvpn tunnel?
2) When outside my network, do I have to open on my android phone the openvpn app and the camera and nvr's app to view the video feed? and
3) Is there an app just to view both devices on a single app?

Any help is greatly appreciated by a newbie here. Thank you!

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are using VPN, you can enter the NVR’s or camera’s IP address then log into the NVR or camera just like you are on the network. I do not know of any software that will allow you to view both at the same time. There maybe something out there that will allow streaming from two separate URLs at the same time.

Why not connect the PTZ to the NVR using ONVIF?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When you are home what app on the android phone (wifi) do you use? Use the same app after you connect with the VPN. The VPN pots you on your home network.

Reaction score
If you are using VPN, you can enter the NVR’s or camera’s IP address then log into the NVR or camera just like you are on the network.

Why not connect the PTZ to the NVR using ONVIF?
Thanks GCoco for your reply. I tried that before but it slows down the NVR and LaView only have a very basic feature of PTZ.

Reaction score
Thank you also looney2ns and SouthernYankee, all is well now. I'm using gDMSS Plus for the PTZ camera and LaView Net for the NVR. I wasn't really sure how to view my cameras outside the network through openvpn as some say, just enter the ip address of the device on the browser. So, I thought the browser they're talking about is "Chrome" or "IE" maybe and not the manufacture's app. :embarrassed:

Again, thank you very much I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

Reaction score
Another question please. So, I went to Starbucks, connect my phone to their wifi, open up openvpn, login to my camera's app and when I check "what is my ip address" it shows my home's ip address: Is this correct?

I thought since I'm using their wifi (Starbucks), it should show their ip address on "what is my ip address" website? Too many information I read and my mind is already overwhelmed, can't absorb anything else anymore. :headbang: Please educate me. Thank you!

Reaction score
Thanks GCoco, now I'm convinced that I configure it right. Love the experts here at "ipcamtalk".