How to view Dahua cameras with SmartPhone

hevnsnt

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing:
  • (1) Starlight Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z
  • (1) Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN)
and put them up around my home. However, I am curious how I will monitor them via a smart phone. Is there any 'Dahua' app? These cameras are light years ahead of the Arlo pro setup that I am looking at, but I would like to reproduce the remote viewing, motion sensing capabilities of Arlo.

What are my solutions, willing to buy something if needed.

Thanks!

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
And there are youtube videos that will give you a feel for the phone view and interface

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On Android, tinycam Pro works well too.
I've used tinycam (free, not pro) with two low quality cheap cameras and it works great on my local LAN and on VPN from anywhere away from home, but after adding two of the 5231 Starlights I noticed they will not work while outside of LAN. I'm Guessing it has something to do my upload speeds not able to stream the higher quality video. I think tiny cam pulls the main stream and haven't figured out how to get it to pull secondary streams, if possible.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that's what I never purchased the pro version until I had everything set up and working.

Just something to consider before someone goes buying a bunch of $5 apps.

Last edited:

kaisersoze

n3wb
Reaction score
I've used tinycam (free, not pro) with two low quality cheap cameras and it works great on my local LAN and on VPN from anywhere away from home, but after adding two of the 5231 Starlights I noticed they will not work while outside of LAN. I'm Guessing it has something to do my upload speeds not able to stream the higher quality video. I think tiny cam pulls the main stream and haven't figured out how to get it to pull secondary streams, if possible.
Just something to consider before someone goes buying a bunch of $5 apps.
I use TinyCam Pro.

If you turn on "Low Bandwidth Mode" on TinyCam it will correctly pull the substream. Apparently the channel setting actually changes the channel number on the URL and not the subtype setting. Low bandwidth mode correctly changes the subtype to the substream. Low bandwidth mode correctly pulls the substreams for the Dahua and Hikvision cameras I have.

For the hikvision cameras I have, changing channel to 2 will correctly pull the substream too

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep that did it. Thanks. I had looked for that setting before, I must have missed it.

danbutter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use TinyCam Pro.

If you turn on "Low Bandwidth Mode" on TinyCam it will correctly pull the substream. Apparently the channel setting actually changes the channel number on the URL and not the subtype setting. Low bandwidth mode correctly changes the subtype to the substream. Low bandwidth mode correctly pulls the substreams for the Dahua and Hikvision cameras I have.

For the hikvision cameras I have, changing channel to 2 will correctly pull the substream too
This works as advertised for tinycam, but is there a way to do it via url?
I want to be able to share the stream on occasion, but I can't have others sucking up all my upload bandwidth each time they decide to see if it is snowing at my house.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A question for Tinycam pro owners. With a Dahua NVR are you able to access recorded media on the NVR from the app?

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The plus versions are most useful if you have a Dahua NVR and want to use the push notifications.
Does push notifications on gDMSS (eg tripwire/IVS) also work with pc-nvr (bundled with smartpss)?

A question for Tinycam pro owners. With a Dahua NVR are you able to access recorded media on the NVR from the app?
Unfortunately tinycam cannot do this with dahua nvr (it does support blue iris playback i believe).

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately tinycam cannot do this with dahua nvr (it does support blue iris playback i believe).
No, tinyCam does not support Blue Iris playback. tinyCam can play only video recorded by tinyCam app and stored on Android device.

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does IDMSS Lite offer playback? Doesn't seem to work for me. Do I need the paid version for playback and saving favorite views? I have to load the cameras each time with the free version.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use TinyCam Pro.

Tiny Cam Monitor found my Lorex (Dahua) NVR, and allowed me to connect, and is showing channel 1, but it won't show any other channels. And it only found the NVR, it hasn't found any cameras during the network scan. I've tried adding them manually and it hasn't worked either.

Any suggestions?

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
Tiny Cam Monitor found my Lorex (Dahua) NVR, and allowed me to connect, and is showing channel 1, but it won't show any other channels. And it only found the NVR, it hasn't found any cameras during the network scan. I've tried adding them manually and it hasn't worked either.

Any suggestions?
What exact NVR model has been selected at the moment in tinyCam app?