How to view one ip camera from network

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks @biggen. I’ll give it a go. Sometimes my wireless is so unstable. If I had to hardwire would what I had initially suggested work too.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well you can go hardwire, but you have to use that adapter thing you linked to and its not a very elegant solution since you will have to run network cable to the area you want your tablet placed. For tablets, the first thought is always wireless since that is what they were designed for. The closer the tablet is to your wireless AP, the better it will work of course.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Add another AP. Too simple. Sometimes the most obvious answers are overlooked. Thanks for your time and patience. :thumb:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well adding another AP has it's own issues. You have to make sure you don't have channel overlap. Also need to make sure you turn down the output power of each AP so that wireless clients don't "hang on" to a further away AP because they are still receiving its signal even though a secondary AP may be closer and have a higher signal strength.

I'd just test with a tablet you have in the house first. Install VLC on it, put it in the area you want, and see how it works before buying or doing anything else.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update & Resolution

got an old gen3 iPad that my Mrs had stashed away in a cupboard somewhere. Located an old 30 pin apple charge and sync cable from the 1000 old cables box. Charged that up - took forever but no rush. Consulted Mr Google about the RTSP. Downloaded VLC. Entered the appropriate URL and bugger me, there it was, in all its1080P mainstream beauty. So simple when you know how. Just goes to show that you’re never too old to learn. Big thank to @biggen @holiday @TonyR and @looney2ns for their input. I’m stoked.

For anyone else wanting to do this, this is what I found that really helped.

Dahua RTSP stream (Cameras & NVR)

rtsp:/<username>:<password>@<ip>:<port>/cam/realmonitor?channel=<channelNo>&subtype=<typeNo>

<ip> - the IP address of the IP Camera.

<port> - the default port is 554. It can be omitted.

<channelNo> - the channel number. It starts from 1.

<typeNo> - the stream type. The <typeNo> of main stream is 0, extra stream 1 is 1, extra stream 2 is 2.

Example URL: rtsp:/admin:12345scw@192.168.1.210:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1 will bring up substream for channel 1

And this.https://dahuawiki.com/Remote_Access/RTSP_via_VLC

Last edited: