How would you wire this?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My neighbor paid best buy to run his speaker wires across the wall. They cut a section of sheet rock out horizontally and patched afterward. Same concept just different direction.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tapping power from the porch light? While the light is off? I doubt it is wired that way. But maybe... If so then a powerline adapter could be used for network access too and no wifi would be required to connect the cam.
That would be my go-to route...add some conduit from light to location, hang cam. Using existing conduit from light box, run a nylon fish line from light box to indoor switch box and pull draw line, then cat5. From indoors, I'm betting there's an outlet nearby(POE), and Powerline works as reliably (maybe moreso) than wireless, and cheap.

http://cablesupply.com/cablesupply-nylon-fish-tape/444-nylon-fish-tape.html
See vid below, and only $20 for decent nylon fish line

FWIW, My deck cam has been PoE/Powerline for over a year and only 1 downtime that I can recall, resolved with un/replugging the Powerline adapter. WLAN has fairly routine issues here due to collisions and many local wlans.

edit: Not HPNA..but Powerline networking:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG
is what I use, under $20 an outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Presumably a cavity wall. Filled?
Where is the destination?
A hole in the brick under the camera into the cavity, up into the loft and down with the SVP or similar (do they call them that where you are?) to the underfloor area.
Or even down the cavity to the underfloor area. Especially if you can crawl in there to hook the cable.