HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF Intel Core i7 8th Gen

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought this computer for blue iris. I just plugged in my Dahua 5442 4mp camera into and went to web browser. It’s extremely laggy and slow on the web browser and often switches to substream,which is a lot worse quality. I read the wiki and thought this computer would work well but why the lag?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is camera going thru your router or is it isolated from the router via VLAN or dual NIC?

In other words if you unplug your router can you still see the camera in BI?

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m not running bi right now but I’m using the web browser. I just have it plugged into a Poe switch right now into the computer. No router or internet connectivity.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try dropping FPS to 15 and make iframe 15 and see if that stabilizes it.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try dropping FPS to 15 and make iframe 15 and see if that stabilizes it.
Seems to help but I’m worried this computer isn’t strong enough now. I would have thought this computer is good ? I don’t think p2p is on

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The computer is more than capable and is the recommended computer right now. I have a 4th gen with way more cams just fine.

Is the camera new? I have seen that when I first initialize it but changing the FPS gets the cobwebs out and then you can change to whatever you want, but 15 is more than adequate for surveillance.

jelf4352

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The computer is more than capable and is the recommended computer right now. I have a 4th gen with way more cams just fine.

Is the camera new? I have seen that when I first initialize it but changing the FPS gets the cobwebs out and then you can change to whatever you want, but 15 is more than adequate for surveillance.
Yea it’s new camera. I wonder if installing blue iris might help. This is the computer I bought used from eBay(2018 I think) : HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF Intel Core i7 8th Gen. 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 10.

So this should be good to run seven 4mp Dahua cameras?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your computer is more than adequate.

Did you start with windows media creation to install a clean Windows version with no bloatware?

I run more 5442s than that on a much less 4th generation just fine.

Are you using internet explorer? Yeah we know but these cams are most stable with IE...not edge or chrome with IE tab.

Explorer is still there and there are ways to get Explorer again.

The simple way is to change the BHO folder to another name like oldBHO and BAM Explorer is back...and this thread also shows other ways...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\110.0.1512.48\

Then change BHO to oldBHO or something else and Explorer will open

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems to help but I’m worried this computer isn’t strong enough now. I would have thought this computer is good ? I don’t think p2p is on
lol you are worried that your computer is not strong enough because you have an issue with ONE camera when you log into the interface? It is more than capable for 7 4mp cameras.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s extremely laggy and slow on the web browser and often switches to substream
My 5442s do exactly this using the Brave browser. The lag is 5 to 10 seconds. Works ok with IE or Pale Moon 32 bit. Brave is chromium based, so perhaps any chromium based browser will work the same way.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running 9 cams on a g3 elitedesk 800 with no lag. Computer shouldn't be the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running 9 cams on a g3 elitedesk 800 with no lag. Computer shouldn't be the problem.
Its important to note while in this case the pc is more than capable for OP's load, the number of cams alone cannot tell you whether a specific processor is suitable for a user. For example 9 2mp cameras at 15fps with no Codeproject AI can be run on almost any processor whereas the load for 9 8mp cameras running at 30fps using AI on every camera will be quite different.
Also a g3 elitedesk 800 could be anything from an i3 6th gen to an i7 7th gen.

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its important to note while in this case the pc is more than capable for OP's load, the number of cams alone cannot tell you whether a specific processor is suitable for a user. For example 9 2mp cameras at 15fps with no Codeproject AI can be run on almost any processor whereas the load for 9 8mp cameras running at 30fps using AI on every camera will be quite different.
Also a g3 elitedesk 800 could be anything from an i3 6th gen to an i7 7th gen.
Yes, quite right. They're a mix of 4k-t to 720p door stations. Most running around 2k resolution. The processor is an i5 6500. Still, I think a g4 should have no trouble with what he's doing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, quite right. They're a mix of 4k-t to 720p door stations. Most running around 2k resolution. The processor is an i5 6500. Still, I think a g4 should have no trouble with what he's doing.
Yes it wont be a problem, just clarifying that there are many factors that need to be considered.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Im running 18 cams on a HP elitedesk 8th gen i5-8500....You have other issues. Network lag probably, or Network traffic saturation,,,,are all devices Gigabit?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
We all turn off Windows defender monitoring for the Video drive....Do you have a video drive installed? to store " footage"?
Blaming the computer, tells me you may have to school yourself in basic Network topology fundamentals. ( heavy on the mental) ( not so much on the fun)
This is why people buy 4 Wyze cams/ Nest/Blink whatever and install an app and call it a security system. They don't want to deal with IP addressing and hardware jargon.
Maybe the Used SSD has reached it life expectancy....could be a lot of little things.
Software Bloat
do a CTRL-aLT-dEL AND see what processes are running in the background......
could be overly helpful HP-phone home software running,
and who knows what else they installed.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I searched for a you tube tutorial,,,,on viewing ip cam from browser.....not much info.......and for sure this guy was the most help, but no Engrish...so no help...