HP Pavilion G6 For BI?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A friend is looking to setup a few cams with BI. He has a spare HP Pavilion G6 (model G6-1b50us) with the following specs:
  • Product Number - QF761UA#ABA.
  • CPU - 2.60GHz VISION Premium Technology from AMD with AMD Phenom II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P650.
  • Microprocessor Cache - 2MB L2 Cache.
  • Memory - 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 DIMM)
  • Memory Max - Maximum supported = 8GB.
  • GPU - Radeon HD 4250 Graphics.
Comparing that processor on CPU benchmark to the one I have (i7-3610qm), it does not look like a good setup just from its benchmark # of 808 and mine being 5233 that runs 15 cameras with zero CPU issues.

Comments?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend is looking to setup a few cams with BI. He has a spare HP Pavilion G6 (model G6-1b50us) with the following specs:
  • Product Number - QF761UA#ABA.
  • CPU - 2.60GHz VISION Premium Technology from AMD with AMD Phenom II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P650.
  • Microprocessor Cache - 2MB L2 Cache.
  • Memory - 4GB DDR3 System Memory (1 DIMM)
  • Memory Max - Maximum supported = 8GB.
  • GPU - Radeon HD 4250 Graphics.
Comparing that processor on CPU benchmark to the one I have (i7-3610qm), it does not look like a good setup just from its benchmark # of 808 and mine being 5233 that runs 15 cameras with zero CPU issues.

Comments?
lol, dont even bother. That machine can barely run windows and belongs in the trash. The number of cameras is irrelevant to blue iris.
You can by a decent 4th gen i5 machine for 100 bux.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I figured that. Just wanted to confirm my suspicions. Thanks!

susu03mat

n3wb
Reaction score
If you solely wanted it for recording D2D with no motion detection, it might be OK. I use a very low power NUC for such a purpose and it works well. but that greatly limits what you can actually do with BI of course. at that point it's just a glorified NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you solely wanted it for recording D2D with no motion detection, it might be OK. I use a very low power NUC for such a purpose and it works well. but that greatly limits what you can actually do with BI of course. at that point it's just a glorified NVR.
you also need to consider the power consumption of these old pc's and video cards. This is for the junk pile

susu03mat

n3wb
Reaction score
you also need to consider the power consumption of these old pc's and video cards. This is for the junk pile
Sure, I agree its old and inefficient. the CPU is 35w TDP and the GPU is 25w TDP, so it's not going to be a terrible space heater or anything like that, but a modern skylake/kabylake (or newer intel or equivalent ryzen) processor would definitely use a lot less power for the same work done (and be able to do a LOT more work).

My only point is that if someone already had the PC, and had no desire to do motion analysis or transcoding etc., that this might be a functional solution to test/play around with. but it's definitely not a long term good solution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, I agree its old and inefficient. the CPU is 35w TDP and the GPU is 25w TDP, so it's not going to be a terrible space heater or anything like that, but a modern skylake/kabylake (or newer intel or equivalent ryzen) processor would definitely use a lot less power for the same work done (and be able to do a LOT more work).

My only point is that if someone already had the PC, and had no desire to do motion analysis or transcoding etc., that this might be a functional solution to test/play around with. but it's definitely not a long term good solution.
it can barely run windows.