Huisun 10x v1 mini PTZ completely dead

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Brilliant idea with the thermometer reading. Btw in v2 digital zoom up to 160x gets you closer view ;)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a thought for those with apparently 'dead' POE cams.

I've noticed there's 12V available at the aux power input when the cam is powered by PoE.
This implies the POE circuit is wired in parallel to the cam's power input side.

If the PoE circuit were busted in such a way as to be shorted, you'd also measure a short
across the 12V input contacts. ( Test this with a multimeter set to Ohms/resistance, if it
beeps, you've got a short )

In that case, opening the cam and removing the PoE parallel
connections might allow an external 12V supply to power the cam...

Last edited by a moderator:

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Brilliant idea with the thermometer reading. Btw in v2 digital zoom up to 160x gets you closer view ;)
I may have to invest in one of the v2 cameras. Your focus seems to be ok even when using the digital zoom. When I do a optical zoom to 10x with the v1 cameras, the focus doesn't seem to want to lock in. If I back it off a little to about 8.5x, then it's ok.

10x

8.5x

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the PoE circuit were busted in such a way as to be shorted, you'd also measure a short
across the 12V input contacts. ( Test this with a multimeter set to Ohms/resistance, if it
beeps, you've got a short )

In that case, opening the cam and removing the PoE parallel
connections might allow an external 12V supply to power the cam...
Thanks for that info. I'll check that out. I haven't taken the camera apart yet but plan on it within the next few days. Is the PoE a circuit board (module) that can be removed and still be able to use a 12V power supply?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I may have to invest in one of the v2 cameras. Your focus seems to be ok even when using the digital zoom. When I do a optical zoom to 10x with the v1 cameras, the focus doesn't seem to want to lock in. If I back it off a little to about 8.5x, then it's ok.
Have you tried that focus trick? It works only in 4x, but perhaps v1 has it too or check with Monica as there might be another preset combination that enables "Lens adjust" feature? I had similar issue in 1x where it was out of focus at 1x/1.1x, but beyond it was fine and that trick resolved it.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried that focus trick? It works only in 4x, but perhaps v1 has it too or check with Monica as there might be another preset combination that enables "Lens adjust" feature? I had similar issue in 1x where it was out of focus at 1x/1.1x, but beyond it was fine and that trick resolved it.
You mean Monica is still around? I thought the company she worked for went kaput. Maybe I'm thinking of Julia that used to sell Hik's. :D

Actually not too concerned with the focus problem at 10x. I rarely zoom in that much anyways. Might look into the focus trick though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cats absolutely hate my motion activated sprinklers. No cat invasions here. :D
Video evidence suggests mine took down a tree while I was out camping this weekend:

Sigh.. this is why I record 24/7, id of never had this setup to record that.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Add me to the list... My Mini PTZ V1 stopped working this morning. Was only 6 months old.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
sorry to hear that. I wonder if all the 'dead' ptz's are models with PoE?

If yours died and it did NOT have PoE, please say so. Thanx.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 4 Huisun 10X version 1 cameras. I have ran Cat 6 cable to them with 23 gauge solid copper wire. We shall see as Summer is coming on.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
All of my v1 have Poe. I still haven't taken the one that croaked apart yet. Hope to get around to it something in the next few days. Hopefully this isn't something that's going to happen to others after a few months.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Add me to the list... My Mini PTZ V1 stopped working this morning. Was only 6 months old.
Hmm, was it in direct sunlight? Seems unlikely yours would be temperature related like the original posters if yours stopped during the morning.

Been worried about mine as I've been near 100 degrees the past few days. So far it's survived, but it's in partial shade during the afternoon and I haven't been messing with the pan/tilt during the hottest part of the day (or anything that could cause stress/extra heat)..

Seems like they would have spent the extra 25 cents to put a temperature controlled computer fan like many of the speed domes have....Although, I wonder just how effective they are considering the housing is air tight, so you wouldn't get any ventilation cooling.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmm, was it in direct sunlight? Seems unlikely yours would be temperature related like the original posters if yours stopped during the morning.

Been worried about mine as I've been near 100 degrees the past few days. So far it's survived, but it's in partial shade during the afternoon and I haven't been messing with the pan/tilt during the hottest part of the day (or anything that could cause stress/extra heat)..

Seems like they would have spent the extra 25 cents to put a temperature controlled computer fan like many of the speed domes have....Although, I wonder just how effective they are considering the housing is air tight, so you wouldn't get any ventilation cooling.
Temperature could be a factor but I think the cause is more likely a lot of bad components used in manufacturing. Too many are going bad and Larebare lives in Washington State so temperature isn't much of an issue. At the time mine went bad it wasn't in direct sunlight.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
told yeh guys these are junk, but I digress.. I will continue to let time prove me right, the failure rates we are seeing on these forums are extremely high.. what else has had near this many deaths in less than a year of service? foscam and every other cheap ass PTZ being sold direct to consumers.. there is a reason no respectable video surveillance shops are selling these things.

PTZ's are not like fixed cameras, moving parts pretty much guarantee's failure even out of the best of em.. now its got mechanics, and if you cheap out they just fail sooner.. does anyone here want a Chinese designed car?

These are fine toys, but building an entire system out of these as some of our members have.. just seems ridiculous unless you intend on replacing security cameras like they are iphones..

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
just seems ridiculous unless you intend on replacing security cameras like they are iphones..
Not as ridiculous as getting Hikvision turrets for outdoor security . If any one of my fail I would get another one. Still beats anything out there.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
put up a dozen hikvision turrets and in 5 years you have a greater than 90% chance all dozen will still be operating if you resisted doing firmware updates.. worst case IR may be slightly diminished after that many hours.

put up a dozen huisuns and you'll have one or two fail every year, so after 5 years they are pretty much all in the rubbish bin.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
hey, i resemble that remark! wondering why do you say that? cost vs IQ?
Why? I think it's quite obvious by now. Sure, some been unlucky with failures but it's inconclusive data and with guesstimates.